Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would this open set in R look like?

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    Well order the real numbers, let [tex] {a_n}_{n \in S_{\Omega} } [/tex] be the the singleton sets of odd numbers in the well order (i.e. skip a number, grab a number, skip a number, grab a number). Since the real numbers are [tex] T_1 [/tex] then singleton sets are closed. [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex] as a topological space is closed by definition. Let [tex] U := \mathbb{R} \bigcap_{n \in S_{\omega} } {a_n} [/tex] . Then U is closed and hence [tex] \mathbb{R} \backslash U [/tex] is open.

Is my logic correct here? It just seemed strange to me that this set would be open. Does anyone know what this set would look like? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your construction is somewhat confusing, and in my best guess at your intent, U is the empty set.

Incidentally, what are you doing about infinite ordinals? I suppose you could decree limit ordinals to be even, and extend the notion of being even/odd from there.

4. Jun 11, 2010 #3

Landau

Science Advisor

As a well ordening of the reals requires the axiom of choice, I don't think one could imagine how the set looks like.

5. Jun 11, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

More importantly, while any set can be "well ordered", that does NOT imply that, given one number, there exist a "next" number. That is only possible for "countable" sets and the real numbers are not countable.

You could ask this question of the rational numbers but then I think that Landau's comment is valid.

6. Jun 11, 2010 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That one's guaranteed -- every ordinal has a successor. It's the reverse that can fail: limit ordinals do not have a predecessor.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook