Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would you call this, in technical language?

  1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    I'm an EE with a fried brain right now, how would you describe the device in the attached picture in technical language?

    So far I've called it a "double-jointed robotic arm with one joint affixed to a mounting surface". That sounds really bad and not descriptive.

    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    2DOF manipulator. This is like a double pendulum configuration: two rotational joints connected in series. Maybe that will give some search terms to narrow down the conventional nomenclature.
  4. Sep 18, 2010 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I wouldn't involve the term "robotic" at all, since there are no actuator mechanisms. It's just a bunch of joints held together with sticks.
    The best that I can currently think of is "a 2D representation of a multi-axis linear assembly". That, of course, makes no sense whatsoever unless accompanied by the illustration. (Personally, I'd go with the "joints & sticks" explanation... :tongue:)
  5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    I'd go with double-jointed arm.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook