What would you consider to be the most quintessential equations of QM?

• Thread starter SnotRocketSci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary: Uncertainty principle as position/momentum (##\sigma_x \sigma_p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}##) or in its general version ##\sigma_A \sigma_B \ge \frac{1}{2}\left|\langle\psi|[\hat{A},\hat{B}]|\psi\rangle\right|##- The de Broglie wavelength ##\lambda = \frac{h}{p}##- The symmetry of a state of identical particles, represented by the permutation operator ##P_{ij}## where ##i## and ##j## are the indices of the particles. If ##P_{ij}\psi = \psi## for all ##i## and ##j
SnotRocketSci
I am an UG student majoring in Physics. I am just starting classical coursework, but I have had, for the past 10 or so years, a great interest in Quantum Theory. I have read nearly every popular-level (read: very little, if any, math) book published in the last 15 years on the subject, but just over the last 2 years have I really started to study the prerequisite math to really get into it.

So, I am actually doing an art project that will have QM as it's theme; the background of which will be equations. So I guess what I am asking is what do you believe are the most important equations, expressions, etc in QM that really encapsulate the theory?

So, obviously, Heisenberg's Uncertainty inequality; Schrodinger's Equation (but which form of it). What else? I need 5 in total.

Thanks in advance for your opinion/help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger Equation:$$-i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi = H\Psi$$

However - it is quantum interference that really spells out the departure from classical mechanics ... see: http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0703126] for the full quantum wave-mechanics formalism.

If I had to choose five equations, I would use the Schrödinger equation, the probability for measuring a given eigenvalue, the HUP, the symmetry of a state of identical particles and the Dirac equation.

More buzzwords: Schrödinger's cat state, Bell's inequality

For elegance, I would use the abstract bra-ket formalism. If the art is directed at people with a little QM background I would maybe use the wave mechanics form of the equations to connect with their previous knowledge.

The Standard Model lagrangian. Some of its shorter versions, like that.
It is quantum field theory and not nonrelativistic quantum mechanics, but if you are looking for "one equation to describe physics", this is probably the closest you can get (with current knowledge of physics). If you need 5 equations, I think this is a good one to include.
+ Schrödinger equation in the way Simon Bridge posted it
+ Uncertainty principle as position/momentum (##\sigma_x \sigma_p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}##) or in its general version ##\sigma_A \sigma_B \ge \frac{1}{2}\left|\langle\psi|[\hat{A},\hat{B}]|\psi\rangle\right|##
+ the de-Broglie wavelength ##\lambda = \frac{h}{p}##
+ Dirac equation

energy levels in an hydrogen atom? ##E_n = \frac{-13.6 eV}{n^2}##
maybe the expectation value of an operator? ##\langle A \rangle = \langle\psi|A|\psi\rangle##

Something related to the double slit would be nice, but I don't see how this can be compressed to a single equation without an additional sketch.

Could someone please write out the *Time-Dependent* version of the Schrodinger Equation for me?

I have seen it written a few different way with there being subtle changes in the way the variables, operators were arranged.

mfb said:
+ Uncertainty principle in its general version ##\sigma_A \sigma_B \ge \frac{1}{2}\left|\langle\psi|[\hat{A},\hat{B}]|\psi\rangle\right|##

Could you possibly talk me through this version of it?

SnotRocketSci said:
Could someone please write out the *Time-Dependent* version of the Schrodinger Equation for me?
That was what I wrote out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger_equation#Time-dependent_equation
Oh hell I put a minus sign in there... that would make the Hamiltonian negative...
All the other versions are algebraically equivalent to this one - there are lots of ways of expressing things and you can even pick your units so the ##\hbar## = 1.

Simon Bridge said:
That was what I wrote out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger_equation#Time-dependent_equation
Oh hell I put a minus sign in there... that would make the Hamiltonian negative...
All the other versions are algebraically equivalent to this one - there are lots of ways of expressing things and you can even pick your units so the ##\hbar## = 1.

So the second equation (in the white box) down is equivalent to the way you wrote it above?

And thank you for your help! The audience viewing this does know their stuff, and while they would totally understand that I made a mistake because I am probably 2 years away from this level of mathematical knowledge, I don't want to have a work that I will have 20 hours + into be wrong, haha. So thanks!

So the second equation (in the white box) down is equivalent to the way you wrote it above?
I've just got a stray minus sign at the front that should not really be there. I'm also used to leaving the little hat off the operator symols - it's a common shorthand.

The second box down in wikipedia is the same as the first box when the hamiltonian operator is given by: $$ \hat{H}=\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2 + V(\vec{r},t)$$

So I should have written: $$i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi(\vec{r},t)=\hat{H}\Psi(\vec{r},t)$$

Last edited:
SnotRocketSci said:
mfb said:
##\sigma_A \sigma_B \ge \frac{1}{2}\left|\langle\psi|[\hat{A},\hat{B}]|\psi\rangle\right|##
Could you possibly talk me through this version of it?
A and B are arbitrary operators. [A,B] is the commutator: [A,B]=AB-BA. While this looks like 0, operators do not always commutate in quantum mechanics: AB does not have to be the same as BA.
With position and momentum as example, the left-hand side becomes ##\sigma_x \sigma_p##. Position and momentum operator do not commute in quantum mechanics, and ##[\hat{x},\hat{p}]=\hat{x}\hat{p}-\hat{p}\hat{x}=i\hbar##. In that way, you get the momentum/position uncertainty relation from the general uncertainty relation.

In the momentum basis, where ##\hat{x}=x## and ##\hat{p}=-i\hbar \nabla##:
##\langle\psi|[\hat{x},\hat{p}]|\psi\rangle = -i \hbar \langle\psi|x\nabla - \nabla x|\psi\rangle = -i \hbar\left( \langle\psi|x\nabla|\psi\rangle - \langle\psi|\nabla x|\psi\rangle\right) = -i \hbar\left( \langle\psi|x\nabla|\psi\rangle - \langle\psi|x\nabla|\psi\rangle - \langle\psi|\psi\rangle\right) = i \hbar## where the third = uses the product rule

1. What is the Schrödinger equation and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes over time. It mathematically represents the wave function of a particle and allows for predictions of its behavior. It is important because it provides a way to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle considered a quintessential equation in QM?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This equation highlights the inherent uncertainty and probabilistic nature of quantum systems, and it has significant implications for the understanding of the physical world at the quantum level.

3. What is the significance of the wave-particle duality equation in QM?

The wave-particle duality equation, also known as the de Broglie equation, relates the wavelength and momentum of a particle. It is significant because it illustrates the dual nature of particles as both waves and particles, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. This equation also allows for the prediction of particle behavior, such as diffraction and interference, which cannot be explained by classical physics.

4. How does the Schrödinger equation differ from the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Schrödinger equation describes the evolution of a particle's wave function over time, while the Heisenberg uncertainty principle describes the limitations of our knowledge about a particle's position and momentum. The Schrödinger equation is deterministic, while the Heisenberg uncertainty principle introduces a fundamental level of uncertainty into the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. What other important equations are considered quintessential in quantum mechanics?

Aside from the Schrödinger equation, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and the wave-particle duality equation, other equations that are considered quintessential in quantum mechanics include the Pauli exclusion principle, which describes the behavior of fermions, and the Dirac equation, which unified quantum mechanics with special relativity. Additionally, the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian equations are important in quantum mechanics as they describe the energy of a system and its behavior over time, respectively.