Whats an experimental Physicist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of pursuing a degree in physics and the different subfields within physics, such as experimental and theoretical physics. The speakers also mention the importance of choosing an advisor and a lab to determine the nature of their work. They also mention the website "physically incorrect" as a useful resource.
andy_adinolfi
First off thank you all for all the advice that has been given. I am new to this forum but I've already received plenty of good advice.

So, I love physics. I have decided that that is what i want to earn degrees in (phd if I am cut out for it). My math knowledge is ok. grades in the high b's for calc 1-3 a's in physics 1-2. and I am about to graduate community college.

So I am thinking experimental physicist. I think i might like this.
Can anyone give me any input about the field? any and all advice will be accepted with great gratitude! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the old joke goes, if you are a theoretical physicist, you spend your days looking for your sign error, and if you are an experimental physicist, you spend your days looking for the leak in your vacuum hose.

The terms "experimental physicist" and "theoretical physicist" both cover a *lot* of ground...

For the first degree you won't have to make a choice, you'll simply be learning the basics which everyone needs to know.

An experimental physicist actually runs experiments ("gets his hands dirty"). Theoretical physicists use pen and paper to reason about the universe. There are also computational physicists, which use simulations to explore physical phenomena.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
well i love to get my hands dirty.

so are advanced degrees in experimental physics earned by doing experiments and experimental research?

There is no such thing as a degree in experimental physics. You either do physics or you don't. The actual nature of your work - pen and paper, test tube, lab, computer - isn't mentioned on your certificate, neither in your BSc nor in your MSc or PhD.

The nature of your work will be determined in your MSc/PhD, when you have to pick an advisor and a lab. If you pick something theoretical, you'll do theoretical work. If you pick studying surface materials, you'll probably spend your days in a sterile lab. If you study NMR, you'll spend your days next to a superconducting magnet, and so forth.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
i see

so its all about skills you develop on the way.

Great site by the way
(physically incorrect)

-Andy

What is an experimental physicist?

An experimental physicist is a scientist who conducts research and experiments to study and understand the physical world. They use scientific methods and equipment to test and observe natural phenomena and gather data to develop theories and models about the fundamental laws of nature.

What are the responsibilities of an experimental physicist?

The responsibilities of an experimental physicist include designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, writing research papers and reports, presenting findings to scientific communities, and collaborating with other scientists to advance knowledge in their field.

What skills and qualifications are required to become an experimental physicist?

To become an experimental physicist, one must have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They must also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. A Ph.D. in physics or a related field is typically required for a career in experimental physics.

What types of experiments do experimental physicists conduct?

Experimental physicists conduct a wide range of experiments, depending on their area of specialization. Some common types of experiments include particle accelerator experiments, nuclear physics experiments, astrophysics experiments, and condensed matter experiments. They may also use advanced technologies like lasers, telescopes, and supercomputers in their experiments.

What are the potential career paths for an experimental physicist?

An experimental physicist can pursue a career in academia, working as a researcher or professor at a university or research institution. They can also work in industry, developing new technologies or products. Other career options include government research labs, science policy, and consulting.