What's New in the PF Username Game Part III?

In summary: MIH9. strange lover loses all resistance...and inductance = rewebster [resistance -> lost -> inductance] - solved by Evo10. She's him? But that's completely backwards! = wolram [hers -> him -> but -> completely backwards] - solved by MIHIn summary, the new members are being introduced to earlier rounds of the game. The first few clues are not too difficult, but the later ones get more difficult.
Gokul43201 said:
i. Cosmic bomb
Answer = Astronuc [cosmic -> astro; bomb -> nuke -> nuc]
:smile: And I've been reading his name as astro-nuck (rhymes with buck) all this time. :redface:

This is going to be tougher to adjust to than T and Y. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
14.EnumaElish (use me in hal)
16. DaveC (hid a vector)

Last edited:
13. I'm guessing it's Moonbear.

Bone mro (that's bone marrow with its war lost) -> Moonbear (after winning an 'a'(?) and rearranged)

8. Morose, without the 'r'.

Last edited:
19. gravenewworld - swaps a 'g' for a 'b'

1. Doc Al---(somewhere in there is...)

wow. You people are all much much smarter than me. I have no idea how you guys figured out some of these clues.

gravenewworld said:
wow. You people are all much much smarter than me. I have no idea how you guys figured out some of these clues.

For starters, try some cryptic crossword.

OK! This is extremely difficult! I'm practicing though!

neutrino said:
14.EnumaElish (use me in hal)
16. DaveC (hid a vector)

neutrino said:
13. I'm guessing it's Moonbear.

Bone mro (that's bone marrow with its war lost) -> Moonbear (after winning an 'a'(?) and rearranged)

8. Morose, without the 'r'.

BobG said:
19. gravenewworld - swaps a 'g' for a 'b'

rewebster said:
1. Doc Al---(somewhere in there is...)
All correct! Let me update the list to see what, if anything, is left standing.

So, here's the update (names at the end are the folks that solved the clues):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. in much ado, calculus lives = Doc Al [hidden clue: adocalculus] rewebster

2. mini rod, twisted = moridin [anagram of "mini rod"] rewebster

3. mashed up w/ mashing tooth = wolram [mashing tooth = molar; w + molar --> wolram, after some jumbling] turbo

4. only country with map on flag loses its pee = cyrus [cyprus - p] turbo

5. best we err funnily = rewebster [anagram of "best we err"] MIH

6. bad turk with half a grand = kurdt [half a grand = 500 = D (Roman numerals), d + turk --> after rearranging] George

7. [tex]\sqrt{adj^2+opp^2}~@~Iowa[/tex] = hypatia [hyp (from Pythagoras' theorem) + at + IA] kurdt

8. gloomy, without a right = moose [right = R, gloomy = morose; morose - r -> moose] neutrino

9. strange lover loses all resistance...and inductance = evo [lover - r (resistance) - l (inductance)] Astro

10. She's him? But that's completely backwards! = MIH ["him" backwards] rewebster

11. strangely, he's Mr. T, shortly, that is, etcetera = chemisttree ["that is" = i.e., "etcetera" = etc, he's mr t + ie + etc -> chemisttree after reworking] rewebster

12. derrick lacks that which could make it human = dick [to err is human, derrick - err -> dick] solved by George

13. bone marrow loses war but wins a skirmish = moonbear [bonemarrow - war + a -> moonbear after jumbling] neutrino

14. use me in HAL; then reformat = enumaelish [anagram of "use me in hal"] neutrino

15. Indian essence hydrates, they say = russ watters [russ ~ ras = essence in sanskrit, hydrates -> waters ~ watters] rewebster

16. hid a vector within = DaveC [hidden clue: hidavector] solved by neutrino

17. Cheerleading slogan for the King of Blues is messed up = BobG [King of Blues = B. B. King, anagram of "Go, BB"] turbo

18. found in Decatur, Boise and Maine =turbo [hidden clue: decaturboise; also turbo-1 lives in Maine] rewebster

19. Huxley does a Brother Gibb swap, we hear = gravenewworld [Brother Gibb = B G, Aldous Huxley's book Brave New World with B swapped for G] BobG

20. la salle de lierre, and many more = HallsofIvy [straight translation, I hope] turbo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That leaves only 18, which is pretty difficult and requires esoteric knowledge of Sanskrit. From this point on, feel free to make up your own clues and post them for others to solve. If doing so, make sure you number them correctly so as to make referencing and compiling less messy.

Last edited:
18---turbo

rewebster said:
18---turbo
Correct!

I'll edit this into the previous update.

How did I miss my own name? Maine should have given it away - there's hardly anybody up here.:smile:

Well, I don't know sanskrit---

but russ_watters is a guess-----whether 'russ' has anything to do with sanskrit (watters=hydrates)

one other possibility is (less likely maybe):

15. In(dian e)ssence hydrates, they say

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
How did I miss my own name? Maine should have given it away - there's hardly anybody up here.:smile:

I missed mine too---(oh, well)

15 has been making me think of adding "hoo" to "attar" etc to come up with an anagram, but I think now that I've been barking up the wrong tree.

15=honestrosewater

turbo-1 said:
15 has been making me think of adding "hoo" to "attar" etc to come up with an anagram, but I think now that I've been barking up the wrong tree.

15=honestrosewater

sounds better than mine

how many other (blank)water(s) are there?

another facet I was thinking of was: hydrates= name containing OH/HO/HOH

here's another one:

spacetiger

tiger=an essence of India
space=water in sanskrit?

Last edited:
rewebster said:
Well, I don't know sanskrit---

but russ_watters is a guess-----whether 'russ' has anything to do with sanskrit (watters=hydrates)
This is actually correct. In Sanskrit, essence (or flavor) = ras (pronounced exactly like Russ). You might know this if you are into Asian cooking.

Anyone else want to come up with some clues?

Seeing as how most everything so far has been fairly rapidly cracked, I think I'll try out a few difficult ones now...

21. how a Roman sentry may begin to question a lurker underscores the heart of its translation by Shakespeare

22. carelessly cram a man, for a Sec.

23. bottoms of Nimes must count

24. [tex]ji\sqrt{2\pi} \delta^{(1)} (k)[/tex]

25. the Stooge of the Commandments leads the Greek sharpdull

Please provide COMPLETE explanations for these (of the kind found in the updates). You get no brownie points for getting the correct name, but you will get half a brownie point for the correct name and most of the explanation! :-p

Last edited:
It's probably a good idea to Wiki/Google around a bit, for clues 20 through 30. I've mixed in little doses of trivia with the wordplay.

For clues 26 through 30, there are two separate routes to cracking each clue, both leading to the same person. So, that should make them a lot easier to crack! :wink:

Example: angry cohort changes directory
Answer: chroot [1. chroot = anagram of cohort; 2. chroot = unix/linux command for changing root directory] <---select to read

All clear?

26. Not derived from terrible X gradalis?

27. Two-faced gatekeeper is mostly an @$$#0!3
. (pardon the language :redface:)

28. Fly trades one for a different fly's killing machine.

29. Old Indian teacher of natural laws has seen Gore jog clumsily!

30. Mr. anser, in trouble.

24. Math Is Hard =)

SpitfireAce said:
24. Math Is Hard =)
Ha ha! No, that's not what I intended.

27--Janus---roman god

27=Janus

You beat me out rewebster. I was looking for something esoteric, like an anagram of Isimud, when the "anus" part popped out.

Last edited:
rewebster said:
27--Janus---roman god
Correct! The other half of the clue is now self-explanatory.

turbo, you were a few seconds too late.

25=Moedarklight (darklight=oxymoron=Greek work for sharp/dull)

26 Ivan (the terrible) Seeking (the grail)?

21: Q_Goest

Kinda Shakespearian, almost "quo vadis," with an underscore in the middle (at the "heart")

30. Danger? "In trouble"

turbo-1 said:
25=Moedarklight (darklight=oxymoron=Greek work for sharp/dull)
Correct answer. You haven't posted the complete explanation though!

rewebster said:
26 Ivan (the terrible) Seeking (the grail)?
Nice guess, but no cigar. But you are on the correct trail with the last part.

Chi Meson said:
21: Q_Goest

Kinda Shakespearian, almost "quo vadis," with an underscore in the middle (at the "heart")
Correct answer. And that's most of the explanation, but there's still a little nugget missing.

Chi Meson said:
30. Danger? "In trouble"
Again, that's the correct answer with one half of the explanation. Still need to crack the first part of the clue.

Update on the last 10 clues:

21. how a Roman sentry may begin to question a lurker underscores the heart of its translation by Shakespeare
= Q_Goest [almost completely solved; needs finishing up]

22. carelessly cram a man, for a Sec. - unsolved

23. bottoms of Nimes must count - unsolved

24. [tex]ji\sqrt{2\pi} \delta^{(1)} (k)[/tex] - unsolved

25. the Stooge of the Commandments leads the Greek sharpdull = Moe Darklight [partially solved; awaiting completion]

26. Not derived from terrible X gradalis? - unsolved

27. Two-faced gatekeeper is mostly an @$$#0!3 = Janus [1. Janus = Roman God with 2 heads, guardian of gates and doors; 2. Janus is mostly anus] :-p

28. Fly trades one for a different fly's killing machine. - unsolved

29. Old Indian teacher of natural laws has seen Gore jog clumsily! - unsolved

30. Mr. anser, in trouble. = Danger [partially solved; needs completion]

Remember, clues 26 through 30 are all 2-part clues, both parts independently leading to the answer.

Gokul43201 said:
Nice guess, but no cigar. But you are on the correct trail with the last part.

well, let's try, :

26. integral

derived from the 'not' of terrible--great

and gradalis---grail

-----------------------------------

28. spitfireace

trades spit and fire---and one (ace)---the best fighter pilot

--------------------------------

29. George Jones

anagrams---old seer and Gore jog together

Last edited:
rewebster said:
well, let's try, :

26. integral

derived from the 'not' of terrible--great

and gradalis---grail
Correct answer, but not the correct route. What about the "X"? What could you get from that?

28. spitfireace

trades spit and fire---and one (ace)---the best fighter pilot
No, that's not it. There's many a homonym for 'fly'.

Gokul43201 said:
Correct answer, but not the correct route. What about the "X"? What could you get from that?

No, that's not it. There's many a homonym for 'fly'.

I took the 'x' as the two separate words 'cross' to give the answer---was there something about 'sad'?

Last edited: