1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's something to self learn for ChemE/EE in 3 months

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    So I'm interested in studying Electrical Engineering/ Chemical Engineering and I will soon have 3 months of free time before going to the university.

What could I self learn online that will give maximum help and boost for me if I want to go Chem E? What about EE?

I think the 3 months will be a great chance to make the tough ride for an engineering degree a little bit easier and I want to do all the work I can do during these months to support myself and propel myself a little bit to make the tough ride a little ( or alot? ) easier.

An inspiration that made me want to do this is the guy "Scott H Young" who did a "MIT Challenge" where he self studied the whole MIT computer science curriculum in 1 year... Maybe it's BS, but there's a chance he actually did that.

And if he could study the whole thing in 1 year, I can probably get some use out of 3 months of free time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm no help on the ChemE question, but for EE, one of the best things you could do is read this book from cover-to-cover: The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electron...253366&sr=1-1&keywords=the+art+of+electronics

If you can get a used copy for not too much money, I think you will get a lot out of it, and you can refer back to it in your intro EE classes at university as well. If you have access to a technical/school library, take a look at it in the library to see if it is about the right level for you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 10, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4
    It never hurts to learn a little programming.

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Ah yes, Horowitz and Hill. The book every physicist reads and then thinks they're an expert in electronics. :)

Truth be told, if you can only read one book in electronics, that's probably the best one. But beware, that book is a big-time hubris generator.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook