Whats the average current does this rotating charge represent

In summary, a sphere with a charge of 8.34nC is rotating at a speed of 116 Pi rad/s. To find the average current represented by this rotating charge, the equation I= q/t can be used. By converting the angular speed to revolutions per minute and using the given charge, it can be determined that the average current is 8.34x10^-9 amps.
xswtxoj

Homework Statement

a small sphere carries a charge of 8.34nC in whirled in a circle at the end of an insulating string. The angular speed is 116 Pi rad/s. what's the average current does this rotating charge represent

Homework Equations

I= q/t
w= theta/t

The Attempt at a Solution

116 pi rad/sec * 1 rev/min

Physics news on Phys.org

What is current?

What units are you asked to represent it in?

It might be useful to figure how many times the charge will pass a particular point a sec.

They give you that it revolves at 116π radians/sec so how many times a sec ?

Current is I (amps) where its charge(Q) / (t) times in secs. so 116/60?, is it 8.34x1e-9/ (116 pi/60)?

xswtxoj said:
Current is I (amps) where its charge(Q) / (t) times in secs. so 116/60?, is it 8.34x1e-9/ (116 pi/60)?

1. How many radians in a revolution?

2. What's with the 60, when they give you ω in radians/sec already?

116 pi rad/ sec * 60secs/1 min* 1rev/2pi rad

xswtxoj said:
116 pi rad/ sec * 60secs/1 min* 1rev/2pi rad

Why do you want it in radians/minute when current is in amps which are Coulombs/s?

What is the definition of current?

Current is a measure of the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

What is the equation for calculating current?

The equation for calculating current is I = Q/t, where I is the current in amperes, Q is the amount of charge in coulombs, and t is the time in seconds.

How does a rotating charge affect current?

A rotating charge can create an alternating current (AC), where the direction of the current changes periodically. This is because the rotating charge causes a change in the electric field, which in turn induces a current in a conductor.

What factors can affect the magnitude of current in a rotating charge?

The magnitude of current in a rotating charge can be affected by the speed of rotation, the amount of charge, the resistance of the conductor, and the voltage applied to the circuit.

How can current from a rotating charge be harnessed for practical use?

Current from a rotating charge can be harnessed for practical use in generators, where mechanical energy is used to rotate a coil of wire in a magnetic field, creating an AC current. This current can then be converted into DC current for use in various electronic devices.