What's the best way to make high quality Cu(II)SO4 crystal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Felchi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Crystal Quality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Felchi
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
My high school chemistry teacher tossed us the task and told us to figure it out ourselves. As far as I can understand, the trick is to supersaturate the solution, put a seed on a string and hope for the best. I'm just posting here to ask if anyone happens to know any good sites I might not have found or knows some intricacies of crystal building, such as what makes a good seed, the optimal lighting conditions, if any, or optimal string arrangement.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Light shouldn't matter. If you grow a crystal from the saturated solution the most important thing is temperature control - you want the solution to cool very slowly.