What's the deal with USBc docks?

• Thread starter opus
  • Start date
In summary, a USB hub can be used to power and charge devices at the same time, but the OP may have difficulty finding one that meets their needs.
opus
Gold Member
Im trying to hook up a usb keyboard, and hdmi to external monitor to my laptop. However I also need to charge my laptop simultaneously. But I only have 2 USBc ports on my laptop so I bought a USBc dock that takes up both ports and gives me the same 2 USBc out, with an additional USB 3.0. But I can't get this thing to work at all. I can't even charge my laptop through it. After reading the reviews, these things seem to cause problems.

How can I make it so I can use two USBc and a USB 3.0 at the same time for my Macbook?

Computer science news on Phys.org
opus said:
However I also need to charge my laptop simultaneously.
not sure what charging has to do with the lack of USB port issue ?
Don't Mac's have a separate power socket ?
Or is the power socket hidden behind the dock ?
Or, god forbid, charging is done via one of the USB ports ?

opus said:
But I can't get this thing to work at all. I can't even charge my laptop through it. After reading the reviews, these things seem to cause problems.

I could be cheeky and say " I don't suffer these issues with a Windows based laptop"
But you mite not like that :wink::biggrin:

Likes opus and russ_watters
davenn said:
not sure what charging has to do with the lack of USB port issue ?
Don't Mac's have a separate power socket ?
Or is the power socket hidden behind the dock ?
Or, god forbid, charging is done via one of the USB ports ?
I could be cheeky and say " I don't suffer these issues with a Windows based laptop"
But you mite not like that :wink::biggrin:

Thanks for the reply. And yes, everything is done through the usb ports- charging, I/O devices, etc etc. And there are only two, which is where I'm having trouble. I need one to charge, one to plug a "dongle" into so that I can plug a USB 3.0 cable into use my keyboard, and another one to plug another dongle into so that I can connect an HDMI cord from my monitor to laptop.

Use what is known as a USB Hub. It plugs into one of the ports on your computer and has anywhere from 2 to 10 USB ports to plug your accessories into. They are available both as 'powered' and 'unpowered' designs with one powered by the 5V from the computer USB port and the other powered by a separate power pack that plugs into a wall outlet. That leaves one USB port on the computer for charging.

(Alternative solutions: 1) get a different model and/or make computer. 2) ask Apple how they expect you to do it.)

Please let us know what solution you find, there may be many others with the same problem.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes opus, russ_watters and davenn
If you want to power / charge external devices through a USB hub, don't bother with the unpowered hubs. Get one with its own wall plug for powering external devices through the hub USB sockets.

CORRECTION: This is not addressing the OP wish to power the laptop.

Last edited:
Likes opus
There are devices that will expand the number of ports, as well as charge devices connected to them, including the parent laptop. It is, however, not clear that the OP has actually purchased one of these.

Likes opus
USB ports on devices often will not accept power unless they detect that the connection is protected against supplying too much power. So the USB cable for power is different in some way (either itself or the power supply USB port). Powered hubs have USB ports for charging and others for communication. Don't expect the wrong one to work.

Likes opus
Thanks for the responses. These thing is actually more complicated (and expensive) that I had originally thought. Many of these things require you to install drivers for the hubs to work, and only a few have charging capabilities.
Does anyone have experience with something like this? :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0764244SQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I haven't used them on Apple but have on other brands. Quite useful. I recommend that you get one from the computer manufacturer, Apple, if available. They are complex enough that there could be some subtle incompatibilities with third-party products. Check reviews and specs carefully to ensure they accomplish what you need, especially for third-party brands.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes davenn and opus
Ok thanks guys. I looked for a Mac specific one but it looks like they don't like it when people use non-Mac specific stuff on their products so there aren't really any options from them. I found a third party one from Best Buy and it seems to do the trick. Those small ones are really crappy so I had to get one of the big ones that has charging capabilities.
What a hassle. I love Apple products but they are pretty scummy when it comes to allowing people to use other items on their $2000 laptops.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a USB-C dock?

A USB-C dock is a device that allows you to connect multiple devices, such as monitors, keyboards, and external hard drives, to your computer using a single USB-C port. It essentially expands the capabilities of your computer by providing additional ports and connections.

2. How does a USB-C dock differ from a traditional docking station?

A USB-C dock differs from a traditional docking station in its use of the USB-C port. Traditional docking stations typically use proprietary ports or connectors, while USB-C docks utilize the versatile and widely adopted USB-C port, making it compatible with a variety of devices.

3. What are the advantages of using a USB-C dock?

One of the main advantages of using a USB-C dock is its versatility. It allows you to connect multiple devices to your computer using a single port, making it convenient and space-saving. It also supports faster data transfer speeds and can provide power to your devices.

4. Are all USB-C docks the same?

No, not all USB-C docks are the same. They can vary in terms of the number and types of ports they offer, the data transfer speeds they support, and the power output they provide. It is important to carefully consider your needs and do research before purchasing a USB-C dock.

5. Can a USB-C dock charge my laptop?

Yes, some USB-C docks have the capability to charge laptops. However, not all USB-C docks have this feature, so it is important to check the specifications before purchasing. Additionally, the power output of the dock may not be enough to fully charge your laptop, so it may still be necessary to use your laptop's original charger.