What's the difference between an analogy and a metaphor?

In summary, Ryan explains the difference between analogies and metaphors, and also includes the concept of similes. He shares examples of each and discusses the nuances between them. He also addresses the question of whether the statement "This drink is as cold as ice" would be considered a simile, and concludes that it is not because it does not create new meaning but rather directly compares two things.
DiracPool
Go for it..

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice Job, Ryan. I like that.

To be a little bit more helpful as I understand it analogy is when one says that X is like Y (even if Y doesn't necessarily possesses the trait in question, it's usually poetic) whereas metaphor is when you use a term that has a different meaning to convey the point. E.g.

"That scientist is as smart as a fox" - analogy

"She blinded me with science" - metaphor

And for an added bonus

"This drink is as cold as ice" - simile, which is similar to an analogy but is more of a direct comparison rather than a figure of speech

Ryan_m_b said:

Would both be metaphors, well the first is actually a simile. And everyone knows foxes are cunning!
Analogies are extended metaphors, to convey a specific point. If it's just a figure of speech it doesn't really qualify.

An interesting question though. I've never really given it any thought before.

Ryan_m_b said:
To be a little bit more helpful as I understand it analogy is when one says that X is like Y (even if Y doesn't necessarily possesses the trait in question, it's usually poetic) whereas metaphor is when you use a term that has a different meaning to convey the point. E.g.

And for an added bonus

"This drink is as cold as ice" - simile, which is similar to an analogy but is more of a direct comparison rather than a figure of speech

I don't think that works for a simile does it? It's not novel, drink's can actually be cold. You have to create new meaning with a simile.

Pythagorean said:
I don't think that works for a simile does it? It's not novel, drink's can actually be cold. You have to create new meaning with a simile.
wiki said:
A simile is a figure of speech that directly compares two different things, usually by employing the words "like" or "as" – also, but less commonly, "if", or "than". A simile differs from a metaphor in that the latter compares two unlike things by saying that the one thing is the other thing.

I think you're right. In saying, "This beer is as cold as ice." you are saying the physical temperature of one thing is the same as the physical temperature of another. Two different things aren't being compared. See the difference if you say, "The killer was as cold as ice." There, you're referring to his lack of human emotional responsiveness and comparing it to a physically low temperature. Two different things being compared.

To turn this into a metaphor we'd simply assert the killer was the thing we're comparing him to: "The killer was a block of ice."

What is an analogy?

An analogy is a comparison between two things that are similar in some way, but are not literally the same. It is used to explain a complex or abstract concept by comparing it to something more concrete and familiar.

What is a metaphor?

A metaphor is a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is used to describe something by comparing it to something else that is unrelated. It is used to create a vivid and imaginative description by adding meaning and depth to the original idea.

How are analogy and metaphor different?

While both analogy and metaphor involve comparison, they differ in the way this comparison is made. Analogy compares two things that are alike in some way, while metaphor uses one thing to represent something else. Additionally, analogies tend to be more literal, while metaphors are more figurative.

Which one is more commonly used?

Both analogy and metaphor are commonly used in everyday language, as well as in literature and other forms of communication. However, metaphors are generally more prevalent and can be found in a wider range of contexts, including idiomatic expressions, poetry, and advertising.

How do I use analogy and metaphor effectively?

To use analogy and metaphor effectively, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concept or idea you are trying to explain. Choose a comparison that is appropriate and relatable to your audience, and avoid cliches or overused metaphors. Be creative and use descriptive language to make your comparison come to life.