Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the formula for variance between batches?

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    Im working on a lab for my Civil Engineering Materials class and its asking for the "between batch variation" (SBB^2) for different cylinders of Portland cement concrete. Its not written anywhere on the lab sheet. And Ive looked in my book, notes, and Google. Im getting nothing here :/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
  4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    keep in mind im not studying to be a civil but mech engineer so this is the best i can come up with.

heres a link to a digital book that discusses batch variations:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=g8...age&q=cement between batch variation&f=false"

if you look at table 1.7 and read the page above it it seems as if S=compressive strength in MPa. so you are looking at the difference between compressive strength of both batches.
    absolute value of S(batch A)-S(batch B).
    maybe your making it harder than it seems when it might just be a trivial subtraction operation. and maybe that is why you cant find a formula to it because its that simple.
    anyways keep in mind this is not my specialty and i know absolutely nothing about civil but this is what i understood purely from the text.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Sep 14, 2009 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you really expect help within 35 minutes of posting your question, you're in the wrong place.

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5
    hhn, thanx for the help. i ended up getting help from another grad student before i could even get back to my computer though. thanx for your time though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook