Whats the History of the Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a reliable source for the history of integration. Suggestions are made to search for college courses on the subject and to also compare with Wikipedia, while keeping in mind the importance of checking primary sources. The conversation also mentions Archimedes' role in the development of integration and recommends a YouTube series on the topic.
kevinnn
For some reason I thought it would be easy to find but I'm trying to find a history of the integral. I'm not really looking for Wikipedia because I know that anyone with a computer can go and change the content so I'm not sure how true it is. Does anyone know of a good source I can look at? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the following search terms:

"history of integration"
"history of calculus"
You will get hits for college courses on the subject.

You can compare with wikipedia if you like - it tends to be pretty good on things that are well established and lots of people are interested in it. You should always check the primary sources though - especially if you want the information for more than personal curiosity.

Thanks.

Many historians credit Archimedes in the 3rd century BCE with the discovery of the basic concepts of integration. However, Archimedes did not have the mathematical toolset to develop fully-realized integral calculus. That had to wait for the twin terrors of Newton and Leibnitz. I think you may find this series especially fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZLC0egL6pc

This looks like a god watch. I will look at it after my finals are over and I have the time to watch the whole thing.
Thanks!
Looks a little like Richard Feynman in the picture.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Who first discovered the integral?

The concept of the integral was first developed by ancient Greek mathematicians such as Archimedes and Eudoxus. However, the modern form of the integral was introduced by Newton and Leibniz in the 17th century.

3. How has the concept of the integral evolved over time?

The concept of the integral has evolved significantly over time, with contributions from mathematicians such as Cavalieri, Fermat, and Bernoulli. It has played a crucial role in the development of calculus and many other areas of mathematics and science.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

There are several types of integrals, including definite integrals, indefinite integrals, improper integrals, and line integrals. Each type has its own specific definition and use in various mathematical applications.

5. How is the integral used in real-life applications?

The integral has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and probabilities, among other things. It is also essential in understanding and solving real-world problems involving rates of change.