Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the History of the Integral?

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    For some reason I thought it would be easy to find but i'm trying to find a history of the integral. I'm not really looking for Wikipedia because I know that anyone with a computer can go and change the content so i'm not sure how true it is. Does anyone know of a good source I can look at? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Use the following search terms:

"history of integration"
    "history of calculus"
    You will get hits for college courses on the subject.

You can compare with wikipedia if you like - it tends to be pretty good on things that are well established and lots of people are interested in it. You should always check the primary sources though - especially if you want the information for more than personal curiosity.

4. May 29, 2013 #3
    Thanks.

5. May 29, 2013 #4
    Many historians credit Archimedes in the 3rd century BCE with the discovery of the basic concepts of integration. However, Archimedes did not have the mathematical toolset to develop fully-realized integral calculus. That had to wait for the twin terrors of Newton and Leibnitz. I think you may find this series especially fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZLC0egL6pc

6. May 30, 2013 #5
    This looks like a god watch. I will look at it after my finals are over and I have the time to watch the whole thing.
    Thanks!
    Looks a little like Richard Feynman in the picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook