1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the problem asking me to find?

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conducting spherical shell of inner radius b and outer radius c is concentric with a small metal sphere of radius a<b. The metal sphere has a positive charge Q while the total charge on the conducting spherical shell is -Q. Assume the potential is 0 very far from all charges.

a. What is the electric potential of the metal spherical shell?
    b. what is the electric potential of the metal sphere?

I'm a little confused about what they're asking from the questions. for (a) am i supposed to make 3 electric potential equations at a<r<b, b<r<c, and r>c? and for just r>a for part b?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2
    I did part a can someone check my answer

Note this is only V for the shell only. Since the sphere inside is charged +Q that means the inner radius of the shell is -Q and the outer radius thus has to be 0.
    for r>c V=kqinside/r + kqoutside/r = k(-Q)/r + 0= -kQ/r
    for b<r<c V=kqinside/r+kqoutside/r=k(-Q)/r
    for r<b V=-kQ/r

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For r>b, think carefully about what qinside is. It is the sum of all the charge within r.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4
    ohh so it would be 0 inside the conducting shell of -Q charge and 0 within a<r<b b/c the +Q and -Q charge cancels them out?

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The +Q and -Q charges cancel for r>b, not a<r<b.

They want the potential at the spherical shell (b<r<c), and also at the inner metal sphere (r≤a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook