What's the significance of the phase in a coherent state?

In summary, coherent states are defined as exp(-|alpha|^2/2)exp(alpha*a^dagger)|0>, where alpha = |alpha|exp(i*theta). The phase operator and number operator are conjugates, with -i*d/dtheta = n. The significance of the phase in this state is not obvious, but taking the expectation values of x and p shows that <p> = m*omega*<x>*tan(theta), giving a relation between the expectations of x and p. These states are not energy eigenstates as alpha is time dependent. They are related to classical mechanics' phase space, but not action-angle variables.
vancouver_water
In a coherent state defined by [tex] |\alpha\rangle = \exp{\left(-\frac{|\alpha|^2}{2}\right)}\exp{\left(\alpha \hat{a}^\dagger\right)} |0\rangle[/tex] there is a definite phase associated with the state by [tex] \alpha = |\alpha| \exp{\left(i\theta\right)} [/tex] where the number operator and phase operator are conjugates, [tex] -i\partial_{\theta} = \hat{n}. [/tex] The meaning of the number operator is obvious but what is the significance of the phase in this state? What would be a consequence of picking a new phase for this state?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the expectation value of x and p and you will see.

Likes vanhees71
So i get [itex] \langle x\rangle \propto \Re{(\alpha)} [/itex] and [itex] \langle p \rangle \propto \Im{(\alpha)} [/itex]. Which gives the relation [itex] \langle p \rangle = m\omega\langle x \rangle \tan\theta [/itex]. So it gives the relation between expectations of x and p.

vancouver_water said:
So i get [itex] \langle x\rangle \propto \Re{(\alpha)} [/itex] and [itex] \langle p \rangle \propto \Im{(\alpha)} [/itex]. Which gives the relation [itex] \langle p \rangle = m\omega\langle x \rangle \tan\theta [/itex]. So it gives the relation between expectations of x and p.
Yes. Are you familiar with the phase space from classical mechanics, or action-angle variables?

DrDu said:
Yes. Are you familiar with the phase space from classical mechanics, or action-angle variables?
With phase space yes, but not with action angle variables. I'll read about them though, Thanks!

Also take in mind that alpha is time dependent as coherent states aren't energy eigenstates.

1. What is a coherent state?

A coherent state is a quantum state of a system that exhibits properties of both a classical wave and a quantum particle. It is a state where the position and momentum of the particle have well-defined values and the uncertainty in their values is at a minimum.

2. How does the phase factor play a role in a coherent state?

The phase factor in a coherent state determines the position and momentum of the particle. It is a complex number that describes the phase of the wavefunction and is responsible for the interference patterns observed in a coherent state.

3. What is the significance of the phase in a coherent state?

The phase in a coherent state is significant because it determines the probability of finding the particle at a particular position and the momentum of the particle. It also plays a crucial role in the interference and superposition effects observed in quantum systems.

4. How is the phase in a coherent state related to the uncertainty principle?

The phase in a coherent state is related to the uncertainty principle as it affects the measurement of position and momentum. The more well-defined the phase is, the more uncertain the position and momentum measurements become, and vice versa.

5. Can the phase in a coherent state be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the phase in a coherent state can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques such as phase shifting, phase modulation, and phase locking. These techniques are important in applications such as quantum computing and communication.