Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What's the significance of the phase in a coherent state?

1. May 17, 2017 #1
    In a coherent state defined by [tex] |\alpha\rangle = \exp{\left(-\frac{|\alpha|^2}{2}\right)}\exp{\left(\alpha \hat{a}^\dagger\right)} |0\rangle[/tex] there is a definite phase associated with the state by [tex] \alpha = |\alpha| \exp{\left(i\theta\right)} [/tex] where the number operator and phase operator are conjugates, [tex] -i\partial_{\theta} = \hat{n}. [/tex] The meaning of the number operator is obvious but what is the significance of the phase in this state? What would be a consequence of picking a new phase for this state?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Take the expectation value of x and p and you will see.

4. May 23, 2017 #3
    So i get [itex] \langle x\rangle \propto \Re{(\alpha)} [/itex] and [itex] \langle p \rangle \propto \Im{(\alpha)} [/itex]. Which gives the relation [itex] \langle p \rangle = m\omega\langle x \rangle \tan\theta [/itex]. So it gives the relation between expectations of x and p.

5. May 23, 2017 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes. Are you familiar with the phase space from classical mechanics, or action-angle variables?

6. May 23, 2017 #5
    With phase space yes, but not with action angle variables. I'll read about them though, Thanks!

7. May 23, 2017 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

Also take in mind that alpha is time dependent as coherent states aren't energy eigenstates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted