What's the verdict on non-stick pans?

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
In summary: Cast iron is great for things like searing and pan-frying, but should only be used once the seasoning is done (or it will be super-sticky). Stainless steel is good for general cooking but is also prone to scratches so should be treated with care.
russ_watters said:
So the worst that you could find is that the EPA says it is probably carcinagenic, but needs further study to see if any risks exist? turbo-1, that's not much of a statement. It does not support your assertions.
I have not been making assertions (your words). I have been quoting EPA documents. Yes, the same EPA that has been operating all through that radical leftist hippie Bush administration.

If you want to discount all their concerns, that's fine. If you want to accept all of DuPont's assertions of "safety", that's fine, too. If you want to dismiss DuPont's acceptance of an enforceable consent agreement regarding the documentation of the health effects of PFOA as "business as usual", that's fine too. If you want to dismiss DuPont's "voluntary" agreement to phase our all PFOA by 2015 without prejudice, that's just fine, too. I, for one, refuse to take the Pollyanna approach to big businesses and pretend that everything that they do is for the best, and that they are watching out for the common good. That way lies thalidomide.

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure all big business is like that. when 3M found out its scotchguard was showing up in faraway places, undegraded, they took it off the market (reformulated, actually, the brand is still there).