What's wrong with the Republican party? - Rev's Take

• News
  • Thread starter Rev Prez
  • Start date
In summary, the Republican party is drifting away from conservatism and towards religious and social conservatism with a complete disregard for its historic base. They are offending people because their actions in the Terry Schaivo case were out of line.
russ_watters said:
While that was the stated justification, what "offends" me (not really the right word) is that their action was based on factually wrong premises (to be discussed in detail...) and that it was unConstitutional (also to be discussed in detail...)

Neither claim which you back up with anything other than personal supposition.

Lets not get into semantics - no, it wasn't technically struck down. It was stated by the courts that it was unconstitutional...

Um, no it wasn't. Seriously, you can't move forward on this topic unless you have the facts. Otherwise, we have the farce of Democrats patting each other's back that is the other thread.

The main point there is that this law was unConstitutional.

So you think, but apparently you can't explain why.

It and the similar law were a violation of separation of powers. The courts have been unanamous about this. It is simply not open for question.

Since when do you decide what can and cannot be questioned? I'm asking you again, cite the decision where the law was struck down. If you can't, then admit it and move on.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/31/lazarus.schiavo/index.html Well, you've provided the first clue: was that a second opinion?

1. I provided no clue.
2. The point was to demonstrate that diagnoses are questioned all the time. The medical weight of Frist's doubt is not relevant. Your implied claim that the Courts' finding doesn't merit review is the issue at hand. That said, I'm going to dismiss this little tangent as well. Hopefully you'll address the issue in the future.

Next, other politicians used words like "handicapped" and "disabled" to describe her condition.

More supposition. You're repeating yourself. You've already (unconvincingly) made the point she's not alive. Dismissed.

DeLay accused one of the judges of "trying to kill Terri". Since the feeding tube was keeping her alive, all that happened was that she was allowed to die naturally instead of being actively kept alive via artificial means.

Since you've failed to prove that she was dead to begin with...well, you get the picture. Dismissed.

Now I understand if you want to go back to the echo chamber that is the other thread. I'm done with you.

Rev Prez

Physics news on Phys.org
Rev Prez said:
Um, no it wasn't. Seriously, you can't move forward on this topic unless you have the facts. Otherwise, we have the farce of Democrats patting each other's back that is the other thread.

So you think, but apparently you can't explain why.
You read the quotes, right? They are quite straightforward. The court said its unconstitutional and its up to them to decide. It doesn't get any more straightforward than that.
Since when do you decide what can and cannot be questioned? I'm asking you again, cite the decision where the law was struck down. If you can't, then admit it and move on.
We have moved on. Semantics on "struck down" or not, the law was declared (even if unoficially) to be unConstitutional. I say that can't be questioned, because those are the exact words of the court. It doesn't get any more straightforward than that.
2. The point was to demonstrate that diagnoses are questioned all the time. The medical weight of Frist's doubt is not relevant.
Sure, diagnoses are questioned all the time, but you wouldn't have your mechanic perform heart surgery and you wouldn't have your heart surgeon fix you car. Yes, the medical weight of Frist's doubt (nonexistant) is relevant. Heck, that's why the courts got their own experts. If Frist's doubt had any merrit/weight, the courts would have considered it.
More supposition. You're repeating yourself. You've already (unconvincingly) made the point she's not alive. Dismissed.
? Its not my claim. Its the expert opinion of the doctors. Again, it doesn't get any more clear-cut than that. You're arguing against reality.
Since you've failed to prove that she was dead to begin with...
You missed the point: the point was that had the feeding tube not been inserted in the first place, she would have died on her own.

Do you have any facts or arguments to support your opinion? Ie, what were her chances of recovery?
I'm done with you.
Wow, that was easy enough, lol. I got to figure out how I did that! :rofl:

russ_watters said:
You read the quotes, right?

Have you? If you had, you'd post them. You haven't. I'm done with you until you do.

Do you have any facts or arguments to support your opinion?

My opinion is that yours is suspect. As for your evidence, you have none as of yet.

Rev Prez

And since you've taken the low road and have deleted posts with arguments you either can't or won't refute, I'm done with this discussion.

Rev Prez

Rev Prez said:
Have you? If you had, you'd post them. You haven't. I'm done with you until you do.
Post #7: "[the law] is unconstiutional..."
My opinion is that yours is suspect. As for your evidence, you have none as of yet.
Rev, you need to get onboard with the fact that part of having an argument is making an argument. You need to start making your own arguments and supporting them with your own facts.

And no, I have deleted no posts with arguments in this thread. The only posts I deleted were those that contained personal attacks or off-topic comments (or pleas to get back on topic).

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Post #7: "[the law] is unconstiutional..."

Re-read the thread. Other than that, I've nothing to say to you.

Rev, you need to get onboard with the fact that part of having an argument is making an argument. You need to start making your own arguments and supporting them with your own facts.

You need to re-read the thread take your own advice.

And no, I have deleted no posts with arguments in this thread.

No, you deleted them in the other thread.

The only posts I deleted were those that contained personal attacks or off-topic comments (or pleas to get back on topic).

Then you won't mind presenting evidence of the personal attacks and OT comments for others to judge.

Rev Prez

Rev Prez said:
Re-read the thread. Other than that, I've nothing to say to you.
Its not very convincing, how you refuse to acknowledge evidence that you asked for once its presented and refuse to make your own arguments. Its funny how you keep saying you have nothing to say -- allow me to show you how...