What's your opinion of MOOCs? Have you taken any MOOC?

• Thread starter DataGG
  • Start date
In summary, the MOOCs have not been very helpful for me. I found the lectures to be boring and the material to be too basic.
DataGG
Gold Member
So, MOOC stands for Massive Open Online Course.

There're several sites that provide MOOCs, such as coursera.org, edx, udacity, etc.

Have you taken any MOOC? Did you learn anything worthwhile?

MOOC MOOC MOOC MOOC MOOC MOOC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a certain disdain for such things, since they do not help qualitatively, if they do, for very little. It also depends on what kind of a course it is. It just might be old-school speaking, I prefer to be there - see and hear the instructor not through a liquid display and a headset.

Though, I am also lazy. Leaving the house puts me in a different setting versus just swinging back and forth behind the computer blasting some loud music, eating chips and drinking soda, occasionally doing something productive :D In a lecture hall or any classroom for that matter, there is no such luxury, there are rules to abide by.

I tried taking something called (rough translation) Career planning, an e-course. Needless to say, I quit, simply because it does not make me want to engage.

I have tried two MOOC's in maths, an advanced refresher and then a basic start over. Neither was a satisfying experience. I don't differentiate the two in my recollection. The instructor/organizers eventually admitted their lack of experience. The student populations were huge, about 100,000. I volunteered as TA and organized a study group that I tried to define so narrowly as to have a very limited attraction. It grew to 700 members and I threw in the towel.

They may be seen as merely marketing tools for instructors' textbooks and "syllabuses" (them's scare-quotes).

I occasionally enjoy on line/streaming lectures; ATM, Leonard Susskind and Lee Smolin. I find such as TEDx glib, shallow and unsatisfying.

They're pretty good, just not enough offered in the higher level math/physics areas.

i had been participating in khan academy (which i believe is a MOOC, I've never heard of the terminology before) unfortunately it isn't very advanced. MIT however offers Opencourseware which is really top grade as far as a free education goes. (it even contains graduate level video lectures)

What's your opinion of MOOCs?

I believe that MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) have the potential to revolutionize education by making high-quality courses accessible to a global audience at little to no cost. However, there are also concerns about the quality and effectiveness of MOOCs compared to traditional in-person courses.

Have you taken any MOOC?

Yes, I have taken several MOOCs on various topics such as data science, programming, and biology. I found them to be informative and engaging, and they allowed me to learn at my own pace and from the comfort of my own home.

What are the benefits of MOOCs?

MOOCs offer a wide range of benefits, including access to high-quality education for individuals who may not have the means or opportunity to attend traditional universities. They also allow for flexible learning, as students can access course materials and lectures at any time. Additionally, MOOCs can help individuals develop new skills and advance their careers.

What are the challenges of MOOCs?

One of the main challenges of MOOCs is ensuring the quality and rigor of the courses. As MOOCs are often taught by different instructors and may not have the same level of oversight as traditional courses, there is a concern about the consistency and accuracy of the material. There is also a high drop-out rate for MOOCs, as they require a lot of self-motivation and discipline.

Do you think MOOCs will replace traditional education?

I do not believe that MOOCs will completely replace traditional education, but they can complement it. MOOCs offer a different learning experience and can be a great resource for self-learning and continuing education. However, there are still benefits to in-person interactions and hands-on learning that cannot be replicated in an online course.