Opinions of MOOC's Through Coursera?

• Thread starter bballwaterboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, people have various opinions of taking a MOOC through Coursera. Some people find them well made, while others find them not well made. The deadlines can be a good motivator, but can tempt one into investing more energy in a course than it's really worth.
bballwaterboy
Has anyone had any experience taking a MOOC (massive open online course), particularly through Coursera?

I'm thinking of enrolling in a computer programming and/or Calculus 1 class there and would love to hear of any feedback that people may have concerning the site. I know it's one of the most reputable around with prestigious institutions (and professors) involved, such as Stanford, Johns Hopkins, University Michigan, etc.

What are people's opinions of doing a MOOC (again, particularly through Coursera)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. An advanced analysis refresher from Stanford U. It was my second and last assay of a MOOC. IIRC this class had ~70K signed up when the operators admitted that it was their first effort. I formed a study group for "elderly retired American English-speakers" that had a hundred participants and I was overwhelmed.

I have since found less formal streamed lecture courses from Stanford U., particularly, much more satisfying. Note that I vigorously eschew and oppose credentialism (meaningless advertisement) and authoritarianism.

I've taken plenty of MOOCs, and I've had different experiences. Some are really well made, others aren't. Looking at the reviews on Mooctalk.org should help.

My first MOOC was Programming Fundamentals by the University of Toronto when Coursera.org first started, and even back then, Coursera is a fantastic platform.
Try it! They are free. Don't pay for Signature Track until the deadline, as you will have a great idea of whether the course is worth taking or not.

It really depends on the course: the instructor(s) and how well organized it is, whether they have enough assistance. I've taken some great ones. I've learned a lot. Most have had few issues, but they were still very useful and rewarding. I don't think I ever dropped a Coursera course because of low quality, only because other priorities claimed my time. (That said, I've only taken math or "hard" science subjects; I know people who've been disappointed by humanities courses on Coursera.) If you have time to invest and the subject is important to you, I'd certainly recommend trying it. I never paid for the Signature Track. I thought about it, and even started a thread on the subject, but decided in the end (rightly or wrongly) that it probably wouldn't carry much weight.

I did an introduction to games programming in Python which was a lot of fun. There were peer-graded assignments and plenty of guidance on how to grade them.

I did one on functional analysis which had some organizational issues, but was mostly good, with peer-graded proof-writing assignments alongside the regular multiple choice tests. This made it more challenging and interesting than if it had been only multiple choice tests. It mostly worked, although especially towards the end I think there was an issue with some students falling behind with understanding the material but still obliged to grade so as not to lose points themselves.

The deadlines can be a good motivator, but can tempt one into investing more energy in a course than it's really worth - e.g. if that energy might better be spent learning the material properly in twice the time, if that's what it takes, rather than chasing the points.

I am always in favor of seeking out new opportunities for education and expanding one's knowledge. MOOCs, specifically those offered through Coursera, have become increasingly popular in recent years due to their accessibility and reputable partnerships with prestigious institutions. However, as with any form of education, it is important to consider the potential pros and cons before enrolling in a MOOC.

On the positive side, MOOCs offer a flexible and convenient way to learn new skills and gain knowledge without the constraints of a traditional classroom setting. They also provide access to top-notch professors and course material from renowned universities, making it a valuable resource for those who may not have the opportunity to attend these institutions in person. Additionally, MOOCs are often more affordable than traditional courses, making education more accessible to a wider audience.

That being said, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. MOOCs may not provide the same level of interaction and personalized feedback as a traditional course, which could be a disadvantage for those who thrive in a classroom setting. Additionally, the self-paced nature of MOOCs may require a high level of self-motivation and discipline to stay on track and complete the course.

Overall, I believe MOOCs can be a valuable tool for expanding one's knowledge and skills, particularly in fields like computer programming and calculus. However, it is important to carefully consider the individual's learning style and goals before enrolling in a MOOC. It may also be beneficial to seek out reviews and feedback from others who have taken courses through Coursera to get a better understanding of the experience.

1. What is a MOOC?

A MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) is a type of online course that is open to anyone with internet access, regardless of their location or educational background. These courses are typically free and offer a wide range of topics, from computer science to humanities.

2. How can I enroll in a MOOC through Coursera?

To enroll in a MOOC through Coursera, you can create an account on the Coursera website and browse their course catalog. Once you find a course that interests you, click on the enroll button and follow the instructions to start the course.

3. Are MOOC's through Coursera accredited?

Some MOOC's through Coursera may offer a certificate of completion, but these courses are not typically accredited by universities or institutions. However, many employers and organizations recognize the value of MOOC's and may consider them as a form of professional development.

4. How long does it take to complete a MOOC through Coursera?

The duration of a MOOC through Coursera can vary depending on the course and the individual's pace. Some courses may only take a few weeks to complete, while others may last several months. Additionally, many MOOC's offer the flexibility to work at your own pace.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking a MOOC through Coursera?

Most MOOC's through Coursera do not have any prerequisites, but some may require basic knowledge in a particular subject area. It is always recommended to read the course description and syllabus before enrolling to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge.