Wheatstone bridge/ strain gauge question

In summary, the conversation is about conducting an experiment to measure the strain of wood caused by temperature changes. The individual needs to use two strain gauges, one for measuring strain and the other as a dummy to eliminate the effects of heating. They also mention using a wheatstone bridge to accurately measure small changes in resistance. However, they are unsure of how to use the strain gauges in the wheatstone bridge equation to determine the strain value. They ask for help and provide a potential equation for reference.
infernal
Need to do an experiment where I masure the strain of wood due to changes in temperature. I believe I need to use 2 strain gauges, one to measure the strain and the other to act as a dummy to cancel out any affects that heating will have on the strain gauge. I also know that a wheatstone bridge needs to be used to find out the very small changes in resistance. What I don't know is how to link all that together to get some results of strain.

Does anyone know how I can put my strain gauges into the wheat stone bridge equation to come up with a value of strain? I think it will look something like this:

4(Vout/vexternal)/Gauge factor = strain

Is it right?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody can help me, it's really important I get this equation right?

1. What is a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge is an electrical circuit used to measure unknown resistance values. It consists of four resistive arms connected in a diamond shape, with an unknown resistance in one arm, and a voltage source in the opposite arm. By adjusting the other two resistances, the unknown resistance can be determined.

2. How does a Wheatstone bridge work?

A Wheatstone bridge works by using the principle of null voltage. When the bridge is balanced, meaning the voltage across the bridge is zero, the unknown resistance can be calculated using the known resistances and voltage source. This is achieved by adjusting the other two resistances until the bridge is balanced.

3. What is the purpose of a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge is commonly used in strain gauges to measure small changes in resistance due to applied strain or stress. It is also used in other applications such as temperature measurements and pressure sensors. The bridge provides a highly accurate and sensitive measurement of resistance changes.

4. What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a device that measures the strain or deformation of an object when a force is applied to it. It consists of a thin wire or foil that is attached to the object and changes in resistance when the object is strained. This change in resistance can be measured using a Wheatstone bridge to determine the amount of strain on the object.

5. How is a strain gauge used in a Wheatstone bridge?

A strain gauge is connected in one arm of the Wheatstone bridge, with the other three arms consisting of known resistances. As the object experiences strain, the resistance of the strain gauge changes, causing the bridge to become unbalanced. By adjusting the other resistances, the bridge can be balanced again, and the unknown resistance of the strain gauge can be calculated, providing a measure of the strain on the object.