When a Basketball Player Confused Judges with Her Ballet Skills

In summary, the conversation discusses a gameshow where panel judges must guess the fake person out of three candidates with a specific occupation. In one episode, the panelists had to determine which of three ballerinas was fake, but were surprised to find out that the fake ballerina was actually a prominent high school basketball player. The conversation then explores possible explanations for how the basketball player was able to keep up with the real ballerinas in just a few weeks or months, with one person suggesting that she learned from online videos and another suggesting she may have been an alien robot. However, one member stands by the idea that she simply enrolled in beginner ballet classes. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the likelihood of each scenario.
bagasme
Hello all,

I remember a story from late 2014, when I watched a gameshow "Who is he/she?" This gameshow requires panel judges (often composed of celebrities) to guess which is the fake person with specific occupation (such as barber) out of three possible candidates present to them.

In an episode, panelists encountered three ballerinas, and they had to figure out the fake one. During 10-minute presentation session, the panelists asks the ballerinas to show off their ballet technique skills (such as turning, leaping, etc.).

Then the panelits came into decision time. Since they are new to ballet (maybe first time exposure to ballet), I thought that their guess would be wrong.

My proposition became true then. What they supposed to be fake ballerina in turn the real one. What shocked me out that the correct answer (fake ballerina) was actually a prominent high school basketball player.

My question: How could a basketballer made the panelists wrong with her exceptional ballet skills, and how could she kept up with the real ballerinas in only a few weeks or months only for purpose of this game show?

Bagas

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most athletes are good for any sport.
The 'fake' ballerina, as you call her, perhaps switched from ballerina/basketball to full time basketball at some point, so I don't see a "paradox" forming on this one.

256bits said:
Most athletes are good for any sport.
The 'fake' ballerina, as you call her, perhaps switched from ballerina/basketball to full time basketball at some point, so I don't see a "paradox" forming on this one.

Let me state my hypothesis reason: A few weeks or months before the episode, someone from production house for this game show called her (basketball player), asked her to enroll into beginner ballet course. Since she was latecomers (as oppossed to ballerinas that trained from child), she learned a lot from ballet videos found online (Youtube?), hopefully to keep up with rest of ballerinas. She did this for the purpose of the show.

bagasme said:
Let me state my hypothesis reason: A few weeks or months before the episode, someone from production house for this game show called her (basketball player), asked her to enroll into beginner ballet course. Since she was latecomers (as oppossed to ballerinas that trained from child), she learned a lot from ballet videos found online (Youtube?), hopefully to keep up with rest of ballerinas. She did this for the purpose of the show.
Could be. I'll have to take your word for the chain of events that the promoters give to the viewers.
I still stand by my original statement.

If we are free to hypothesize whatever we want, my bet is that she was an alien robot that could be programmed to outperform any human in any activity.

It is perhaps not highly probable, but I don't see how it is worse idea than the one that someone learned to be a good ballerina by watching youtube videos.

Borek said:
If we are free to hypothesize whatever we want, my bet is that she was an alien robot that could be programmed to outperform any human in any activity.

It is perhaps not highly probable, but I don't see how it is worse idea than the one that someone learned to be a good ballerina by watching youtube videos.

No, no, no.

In this case, she enrolled into ballet classes, and she also learned from Youtube.

1. How did the basketball player confuse judges with her ballet skills?

The basketball player incorporated ballet moves and techniques into her basketball performance, which caught the judges off guard and left them confused.

2. What inspired the basketball player to incorporate ballet into her performance?

The basketball player has a background in ballet and wanted to showcase her skills and creativity by combining it with her basketball performance.

3. Did the basketball player's unique performance have an impact on the judges' scoring?

Yes, the judges were impressed by the basketball player's creativity and technical skills, and it positively affected her overall score.

4. How did the audience react to the basketball player's performance?

The audience was amazed by the basketball player's unique performance and gave her a standing ovation.

5. Has any other basketball player incorporated ballet into their performance?

Yes, there have been other instances where basketball players have incorporated elements of ballet into their performances, but it is still relatively rare in the sport.