Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When did you began discussing math and science on the web?

1. Feb 4, 2015 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

How old were you (forum members) when you first began discussing math and science on the web?

I'd been out of graduate school for a decade before posting to a math and science forum -that was on the old Compuserve math/science forum, before Compuserve was taken-over by AOL. I wonder how different education would have been if the internet and personal computers existed when I was in high school.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I used to hang out in the math and physics forums of a site for youths (I was probably one of the few spending more time in that section than in the relationship section ...) I guess I was around 18-20 at the beginning and I would not call it a science forum and I quit over 10 years ago. My "real" start was last year at age 34 and to be honest I started on a different forum. I came here around one month later.

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Long before it was "the web." Forty years now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook