Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When do we run out of uranium? How much is used per year?

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1
    When do we run out of uranium? How much is used per year? How much is in stock piles? How much is in deposits that we can afford to extract?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jan 1, 2010 #3
    Re: uranium

Astronuc, thanks. From these I get yearly production 43KT (1000 tones), yearly usage 65KT, reserve at current spot market price 5,500KT. So about 85 years at current rate of use. Current nuclear accounts for 6.5% of world energy per year. If we went say 65% nuclear we would have 8.5 years of reserve. Good thing we do not use much nuclear.

Yes, there is much more thorium I will look at that next.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #4
    Re: uranium

Well I thought there was more thorium but I find 2.6x10^6 ton global reserve from
    http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/default.aspx?id=448&terms=thorium [Broken]
    assuming a Kg of U and a Kg of Th are about the same energy yield I would say there is less Th(?). A point of interest is that about 2/3 of the thorium is in India. So from a global point of view there may not be lots of thorium but from an India point of view thorium looks great.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook