Is there a program that can run depletion calculations in reverse?

In summary, the question is whether there is a program like ORIGEN to run decay calculations in reverse, starting with a given quantity of an isotope and estimating how much of that isotope was present in the past. While it is possible for a single isotope undergoing decay, it becomes more difficult when looking at multiple isotopes and their sources, and may not be valid for events that occurred before the most recent element production.
atomicpedals
TL;DR Summary
Given a quantity of an isotope (e.g. U236), is there a program to calculate how much of that isotope there was n years in the past?
I was having a conversation with a coworker and this question came up: is there a program like ORIGEN (or maybe even ORIGEN) to run decay calculations in reverse?

It's a relatively easy process to start with a given quantity of an isotope (e.g. U236), run it through a program such as ORIGEN, and estimate it's decay and production of daughters in the future. Is there a program to do the reverse? Input a quantity of an isotope x today to estimate how much of that isotope there was n years in the past?

I'm quite confident that I've probably equally overthought and under-thought this question (as you can tell, this type of modeling is not something I do regularly).

Engineering news on Phys.org
If U
atomicpedals said:
Summary:: Given a quantity of an isotope (e.g. U236), is there a program to calculate how much of that isotope there was n years in the past?

I was having a conversation with a coworker and this question came up: is there a program like ORIGEN (or maybe even ORIGEN) to run decay calculations in reverse?

It's a relatively easy process to start with a given quantity of an isotope (e.g. U236), run it through a program such as ORIGEN, and estimate it's decay and production of daughters in the future. Is there a program to do the reverse? Input a quantity of an isotope x today to estimate how much of that isotope there was n years in the past?

I'm quite confident that I've probably equally overthought and under-thought this question (as you can tell, this type of modeling is not something I do regularly).
If U236 is at the top of a decay chain and isn't produced from anything else then it's just a simple equation. Unfortunately I don't know so much about various decay chains.

atomicpedals said:
Input a quantity of an isotope x today to estimate how much of that isotope there was n years in the past?
The trouble is that the heavy elements didn't exist at the time of the big bang. Our solar system was formed from a dust cloud. The dust cloud included elements created and spread by earlier events such as supernovas. Therefore, backward extrapolation is only valid as far back as the most recent element production and spreading.

I agree with this.

If you are looking at a single isotope (say U235) that is only undergoing decay, then it is fairly simple just to solve the decay equations backwards.

However, if you are looking for detailed answers about a set of isotopes, it can be impossible. For example, there may have been short-lived isotopes present that have completely decayed away, so you've lost all information about them (as well as possible sources for other isotopes). Also, if you are looking for isotopes that were created by a source (like a reactor), you will need to know the reactor conditions in the past.

1. What is a depletion calculation?

A depletion calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the rate at which a resource, such as a natural resource or a financial asset, is being depleted over time. It takes into account factors such as usage, production, and replenishment to estimate how long the resource will last.

2. Why would someone want to run depletion calculations in reverse?

Running depletion calculations in reverse can provide valuable insights into the past usage and production patterns of a resource. This can help in making informed decisions about future resource management and conservation efforts.

3. Is it possible to run depletion calculations in reverse?

Yes, it is possible to run depletion calculations in reverse. However, it requires advanced mathematical models and specialized software programs to accurately calculate and analyze the data.

4. What factors are considered in reverse depletion calculations?

Reverse depletion calculations take into account factors such as historical usage and production data, current resource levels, and any external factors that may affect the resource's availability, such as economic or environmental conditions.

5. Can a program accurately predict future resource depletion rates?

While a program can provide estimates based on past data and current trends, it cannot accurately predict future resource depletion rates with 100% certainty. External factors and unforeseen events can impact resource usage and production, making it difficult to make precise predictions.