1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When do you start applying for jobs?

1. Jul 10, 2007 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I finish school next year on April 2008.

When should I start applying for work? Some people said as early as October.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2007 #2
    October sounds good to start applying. I'd even start looking around now (and you probably are). If something catches your eye you can apply but its probably too early. I don't know what you're looking for, but if its something that may require a security clearance and all that jazz, the sooner you apply the better because all that stuff takes a lot of time.

Good luck!

4. Jul 10, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

True, but now is too early in my opinion.

I'll start applying most likely in late September.

Another question is how to apply? I can't apply to job postings because they all say... "Start Date: As soon as possible."

5. Jul 10, 2007 #4
    I would wait until your almost done, say half way into your last semester. No one is going to hire you a year from when you apply.

6. Jul 10, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, January?

Personally, I'll probably end up asking friends and professors and such. I wouldn't want to apply after everyone else.

7. Jul 10, 2007 #6
    I dont know, Im just saying dont apply too early. They might tell you to wait until your final grades are in before they make a decision. Also, I would not worry about applying after everyone else. I would worry about being above and beyond everyone else when you do apply. That will matter most.

8. Jul 10, 2007 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Being above and beyond means squat if the position is filled. So yeah, applying earlier is better.

They don't wait until the final grades are in as far as I know. Everyone I know gets hired well before the final exams even begin.

9. Jul 10, 2007 #8
    I agree. Nothing bad will happen by applying too early other than potential disappointment by being told no. If your resume says "graduating April 2008" they should see that and either contact you anyway, or just ignore your app.

Note: I misread your initial post when I first posted mine. October is probably too early to seriously apply. If theres a dream job you see, try it. End of January/start of February you can go all out. Depending on where you apply, it may take a month or so before you start going through the hiring motions so that should give you a nice buffer before graduation.

Of course, this is all personal opinion :)

10. Jul 12, 2007 #9
    At my school, graduating seniors in my department (geophysics) almost all have multiple offers before Christmas. Most sometime in October. We have a pretty large career fair in September, which is way larger than the spring one...

From my experience, with the career fair, most major corporations are looking to hire starting in the fall of your senior year. Start looking then. At the very least you'll make some contacts who may want to talk to you in the spring.

If you want till the spring you'll probably be facing very stiff competition from all the other schools graduating in the area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?