1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does equality hold? schwarz inequality

1. Sep 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By choosing the correct vector b in the Schwarz inequality, prove that (a1 + ... + an)^2 =< n(a1^2 + ... +an^2)

2. Relevant equations
    Schwarz inequality

3. The attempt at a solution
    since the answer key says that a1 = a2 = ... = an, i tried plugging in values, but i am not getting anywhere and i completely have no intuition of what is happening here. and while on the topic, can anyone recommend books to read - both introductory and more advanced ones about inequalities? i would like a book that gives visual and geometric intuitions. books with proofs would be nice, but it's not a priority to me just yet. thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2016 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

You can easily check that for ##a_1 = a_2 = \cdots = a_n## the equality holds. As a hint, use the Cauchy - Schwarz inequality with ##b = (1,1,1,..,1)##. You need one more vector a. I leave it to you to figure it out and apply the inequality.

EDIT: I would recommend the book Inequalities by Hardy - Littlewood - Polya https://www.amazon.com/Inequalities-Cambridge-Mathematical-Library-Hardy/dp/0521358809. This classic, is a comprehensive study of inequalities. For introductory level, I recommend practicing over a lot of exercises, that can be found easily on the net. But of course, there are lots of good introductory texts too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Sep 7, 2016 #3
    thanks i think i got it but i don't get what the "n" in front of "n(a1^2 + ... +an^2)" means

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Sep 7, 2016 #4
    is n = (<1,1,...,1>)^2...?

6. Sep 7, 2016 #5

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

In order to understanding it better, give some small value to n and see what the ##(a_1 + \cdots + a_n)^{2} \leq n(a_1^{2}+\cdots+a_n^{2})## gives.

7. Sep 7, 2016 #6
    ahh got it! thanks. that's so simple that it's embarassing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted