Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When electrons jump why photon

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    When electrons jump from one shell to another energy has to be released right? Why is only light energy released? Why not other forms of energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The energy released depends on the energy difference of the electron levels. The photons released have a wide range of energy, not just light.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    I think he means why not kinetic energy. Light can include all frequencies, infra-red light, UV-light, even gamma or radio light but we don't know of things that see in those spectrums.

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4
    I think what jd12345 means is: why not sound or other kinds of energy.

Answer: because they have electric charge.

6. Feb 27, 2012 #5
    I think jd12345 is asking why photons and not other particles? It's because electric charge leads to the electron field being coupled to the electromagnetic field, whereas it is not coupled with other fields. As to what determines which quantum fields couple with which, there might be a deep field theory explanation for it but it might be easier to just think of it as a fact of the universe.

7. Feb 28, 2012 #6
    yeah, i think there might be a deeper reason for this stuff. Hard to digest it without knowing "why".

8. Feb 28, 2012 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many of the replies include guessing what you meant. It would clarify things if you answered that yourself.

9. Feb 28, 2012 #8
    If it helps, you can sort of think of it like plucking a sting. If you picture it in slow motion, the motion of you pulling it up an energy level and then releasing it so that it vibrates and returns to it's normal state makes a wave that travels across the wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcse1jJAto&feature=related

kind of like that.

How scientists know that the magnetic and electric oscillations are perfectly perpendicular to each other is something I don't know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook