When electrons jump why photon

In summary: If it helps, you can think of it like plucking a sting. If you picture it in slow motion, the motion of you pulling it up an energy level and then releasing it so that it vibrates and returns to it's normal state makes a wave that travels across the wire.In summary, scientists use a process called 'oscillation' to measure the magnetic and electric fields perfectly perpendicular to each other.
jd12345
When electrons jump from one shell to another energy has to be released right? Why is only light energy released? Why not other forms of energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy released depends on the energy difference of the electron levels. The photons released have a wide range of energy, not just light.

mathman said:
The energy released depends on the energy difference of the electron levels. The photons released have a wide range of energy, not just light.

I think he means why not kinetic energy. Light can include all frequencies, infrared light, UV-light, even gamma or radio light but we don't know of things that see in those spectrums.

I think what jd12345 means is: why not sound or other kinds of energy.

Answer: because they have electric charge.

I think jd12345 is asking why photons and not other particles? It's because electric charge leads to the electron field being coupled to the electromagnetic field, whereas it is not coupled with other fields. As to what determines which quantum fields couple with which, there might be a deep field theory explanation for it but it might be easier to just think of it as a fact of the universe.

yeah, i think there might be a deeper reason for this stuff. Hard to digest it without knowing "why".

jd12345 said:
yeah, i think there might be a deeper reason for this stuff. Hard to digest it without knowing "why".
Many of the replies include guessing what you meant. It would clarify things if you answered that yourself.

mathman said:
Many of the replies include guessing what you meant. It would clarify things if you answered that yourself.

If it helps, you can sort of think of it like plucking a sting. If you picture it in slow motion, the motion of you pulling it up an energy level and then releasing it so that it vibrates and returns to it's normal state makes a wave that travels across the wire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcse1jJAto&feature=related

kind of like that.

How scientists know that the magnetic and electric oscillations are perfectly perpendicular to each other is something I don't know.

1. Why do electrons jump when photons are present?

Electrons jump when photons are present because photons carry energy, and when they come into contact with an electron, they transfer their energy to the electron. This causes the electron to move to a different, higher energy level, resulting in a jump or transition.

2. How do electrons interact with photons?

Electrons interact with photons through a process called absorption. When a photon is absorbed by an electron, it transfers its energy to the electron, causing it to jump to a higher energy level. The reverse process, where an electron emits a photon, is called emission.

3. Do all electrons jump when photons are present?

No, not all electrons jump when photons are present. Only electrons in atoms or molecules can interact with photons. Electrons in other systems, such as free electrons in metals, do not have discrete energy levels and therefore cannot undergo jumps.

4. What determines the amount of energy transferred from a photon to an electron?

The amount of energy transferred from a photon to an electron depends on the energy of the photon and the energy level of the electron. The energy level of an electron is determined by its distance from the nucleus of an atom or molecule. The closer an electron is to the nucleus, the lower its energy level and the less energy it can absorb from a photon.

5. Can electrons jump without the presence of photons?

Yes, electrons can jump without the presence of photons. This is called spontaneous emission, where an electron in an excited state can release its excess energy and jump to a lower energy level without the presence of a photon. However, for an electron to jump to a higher energy level, the presence of a photon is necessary for the transfer of energy.