1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing When is a good time to take GRE exams?

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    I've only taken my introductory physics courses so far. I haven't even begun thermal physics, junior level mechanics, senior level quantum mechanics or my senior thesis project yet. Which material do you think is generally covered on the physics exam the most.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not US, so I don't really know what GRE means.
    I assume it doesn't stand for General RElativity :smile:
  4. Nov 14, 2007 #3
    ^^ Then you won't be able to go to U.S. graduate schools.

@ Benzoate, most people take their Physics GREs in October of their senior year. Most of the stuff covered is from freshman and sophomore-level courses so if you study a lot, you could do it Oct, Nov, or Apr in your junior year. Unlike the general GRE, it is only offered those three times a year.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  5. Nov 14, 2007 #4
    So most of the material is covered from my first 3 introductory freshman physics courses and not my junior or senior level physics classes that are heavily math based physics courses.
  6. Nov 14, 2007 #5
    No, you definitely have junior level courses.

QM and E&M are junior level. Thermal and Modern tend to be sophomore. Mathematical physics is sophomore level in my school.

But QM and E&M are pretty significant. You can't skimp out on those.

Here's a list of stuff for the GRE's:

Most people I know won't know all of that by the time they take the GRE's, but they will have seen MOST of it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?