Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is an electron in a superposition?

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    If the double-slit experiment is done using an electron, and wave function collapse occurs, is the electron originally in a superposition all along before the experiment starts? I need clarification.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

An electron is always in a superposition. A state with a definite position is also a superposition of all possible momenta. Similarly, a state of definite momentum is a superposition of states of different positions.

If you start the experiment with the electron in a superposition of positions, then you measure its position, the state will collapse into a definite position. Although it is no longer in a superposition of position states, since it is in a state of definite position, it is in a superposition of momentum states.

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's a "yes and no" answer.

Particles are always in a superposition of some set of states. Which is to say that they have only one state, which may be described by a linear superposition of possible states. It only becomes important when some device tries to select from the possible states - then a particular superposition representation will become useful.

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just to elaborate on what the two previous posters said all the principle of superposition means is the possible states (called pure for reasons no need to go into) form a vector space. Real numbers form a vector space. Pick any number say - 10. 10 is a superposition of 5 and 5 (5+5 = 10), 3 and 7 (3+7 =10) 8 and 2 etc etc.

Thanks
    Bill

6. Dec 9, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suppose, we could push a metaphor and say that a cake to be cut into two exists in a superposition of possible 2-slice combinations.
    The actual cutting of the cake "collapses" the wavefunction - by establishing which particular combination actually results.
    I wonder what misconceptions I'd be inviting though...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
  7. Dec 10, 2014 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not too bad.

Its the preferred basis problem from decoherence which basically has been solved with a few caveats eg the factorisation problem. What hasn't been solved is the so called problem of outcomes ie why do we get any outcomes at all. This is basically the issue, at a technical level, of how an improper mixed state becomes a proper one. Most interpretations simply shrug about that one, although in some like BM or MW its trivial.

Thanks
    Bill

8. Dec 10, 2014 #7
    My question then , is the electron the cake ,or the cutting of the cake?

9. Dec 10, 2014 #8

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The cutting of the cake is done by the electron interacting with the observational apparatus via the process of decoherence - which is a form of entanglement.
    http://www.ipod.org.uk/reality/reality_decoherence.asp [Broken]

Some issues do remain, but if after going through the link if you still have questions its probably best to start a new thread.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. Dec 10, 2014 #9
    But still ,we have described an electron only as a superposition of states , still not sure what this means.
    If it has mass/energy , where is this mass before we measure it.

11. Dec 10, 2014 #10

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The mass is a property of the electron and is constant - its got nothing to do with the interference pattern.

No one here has described an electron as a superposition of states. Its meaningless - like 5+5 =10 and 7+3 =10.

If you want to see a correct explanation of the double slit here it is:
    http://cds.cern.ch/record/1024152/files/0703126.pdf

What happens is each slit scatters the electron at an angle. The pattern is the superposition of that scattering - the physical set-up determines what supposition is relevant - in this case its the superposition of the scattering if there was only one slit instead of two.

Thanks
    Bill

12. Dec 10, 2014 #11
    Point taken .To my knowledge an electron has properties such as mass and charge - which are constant , as you mentioned.
    I guess my question is how are these constant properties (which we use to define an electron ) propagated from the electron source through the slits to the
    detector/screen.
    I mean at the point of entering the Slit(s), WHERE are these properties . Surely they must still exist, or else our definition of an electron at the slits
    is meaningless .
    IF the Charge goes along one path and the Mass another , then at that instance we do not have an electron , as the properties must coexist to be called an electron.

13. Dec 10, 2014 #12

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

QM is a theory about the probabilistic outcomes of observations. When not observed what's going on the theory is silent about . The only property it has is this thing called a state which encodes the probabilities of observational outcomes if you were to observe it.

The following may help in understanding what QM is really about:
    http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
    Bill

14. Dec 11, 2014 #13
    It is this silence that makes me question QM , as to what is really happening when we don't observe . We may be missing the boat.

Thanks for your input guys

15. Dec 11, 2014 #14
    "The Cake Interpretation of QM" o0).

There have been suggestions of boats, but they have been travelling in different directions:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics#Comparison_of_interpretations

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  16. Dec 11, 2014 #15

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many have tried - trouble is there is no way to experimentally test them.

Thanks
    Bill

17. Dec 11, 2014 #16
    Personally I would much rather try to discover "smaller" detail .. than to be silent on the matter.

I did however read in DennisN 's link above that "A photon can only be observed ONCE" which is quite a profound statement in my view.
    Obviously this implies that we only know that a photon is emitted once and detected ONCE when it is absorbed/destroyed. And nothing else.

Quite a sad end to a phenomenon of such great debate.

18. Dec 11, 2014 #17

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trouble is what people personally want to try has proven very unreliable - witness Einsteins personal beliefs when subjected to Bohrs scrutiny - Einstein admitted defeat.

Why you think that photons are generally destroyed when you detect them is profound I cant quite follow.

I suspect Einstein thought so as well - but he did have one last joker up his sleeve - EPR. And it was experimentally testable - which lifted it into the realm of science rather than personal opinion.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  19. Dec 11, 2014 #18

naima

Gold Member

Thanks to Buddha photons are not destroyed. Another life is waiting. :)

20. Dec 11, 2014 #19
    I think it's impossible to say when/where a quantum collapse occurs during an experiment. The collapse isn't an 'event' which can be pinpointed.

A simple example:
    A photon passes through two polarizers angled 45 degrees to each other. Lets say the first polarizer is oriented vertically and the second one is diagonal. Before the first polarizer, the photon is polarized vertically, and after the second polarizer, it is polarized diagonally. What about the space between the polarizers? We can't say...

Reality isn't so simple as to allow a single state for each particle at each point in time. The total state involves the entire system at all times.

21. Dec 11, 2014 #20

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's true. Von Neumann showed the classical quantum cut could really be placed anywhere.

In the modern view based on decoherence its when the interference terms fall well below detectability which is to some extent arbitrary.

That said it does occur very very quickly.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook