1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses When is it worthwhile to retake a class?

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    I'm a freshman who just finished their first semester at (insert elite university that I don't want to namedrop here), and I am an engineering physics major with a hope to one day do grad school in applied physics at a similar school. Anyway, due to the almost non-existence of a curve and the rough transition from high school to college I ended up with a C- in my multivariable calc and linear algebra course (it is one class), which although passing probably won't look good and made a damper on my GPA (as it is more than 25% of my current unit count at the moment). Despite this I feel as if I really did learn the material (granted most of my ah-ha moments didn't happen until it was too late), so I could probably easily get a very good grade this time around, but I could also move on and take more advanced classes and not have to overload on units down the line. However, obviously I don't want this one grade to keep me from getting into a good masters or PhD program down the line, or prevent me from doing research this or next summer. I would appreciate any advice I could get - thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2
    Taking a course multiple times does not remove prior instances from your transcript.

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    At my school I read on the website that it replaces the prior time with an RP or RT or something meaning that it was retaken or replaced

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4
    I suppose it may vary from university to university. When I was in school, I was in a situation my freshman year similar to the one you've described. I retook a chemistry class, but it did not replace the initial occurrence on the actual transcript. However, it didn't make any difference in the long run.

6. Jan 10, 2017 #5
    It varies between universities - at mine, you could retake a course and your first grade would not be factored into your GPA (although some grad schools re-calculate your GPA based on their own criteria)

7. Jan 16, 2017 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you learned the material move on. One C isn't going to kill you, just make sure you also learned how to keep up with your coursework so it isn't a reoccurring event.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted