When is Moment Reduced in Reinforced Concrete Design?

  • Thread starter Thread starter niz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Concrete Design
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 11K views
niz
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi!
I'm having some difficulty trying to clear some things when designing r.concrete slab and beam.
My question is : when do you reduce moment ?
I am aware we reduce moment over support...but when that support is in middle of beam .(continuous beam)
For simply supported beam we don't make reduction of moment.
Then i read on one place that we do not reduce moment over support in cantilever beam...is this true..?
can anyone give me cases when we do reduction of moment for beams and slabs..?
Thanx in advance!

Niz
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
niz said:
Hi!
I'm having some difficulty trying to clear some things when designing r.concrete slab and beam.
My question is : when do you reduce moment ?
I am aware we reduce moment over support...but when that support is in middle of beam .(continuous beam)
For simply supported beam we don't make reduction of moment.
Then i read on one place that we do not reduce moment over support in cantilever beam...is this true..?
can anyone give me cases when we do reduction of moment for beams and slabs..?
Thanx in advance!

Niz

You do moment reductions over supports on continuous beams (middle supports) in general because the bending moment function you get (by using a simple statistical system approximation for your beam) has greater values (in the neighbourhoods of these points) and a different 'shape' than a more realistic moment function.
 
what about cantilever beam and cantilever arm?
do we make moment reduction for these two cases as well?
or...because of the safty we dont..?
 
niz said:
what about cantilever beam and cantilever arm?
do we make moment reduction for these two cases as well?
or...because of the safty we dont..?

I think there is no need to do moment reduction in the case of a cantilever beam, at least I didn't see a case/argument to do so yet.
 
niz said:
thank you so much for your help :)

No problemo, I'm glad I helped. :wink: