When is the 4-velocity useful?

• Thread starter copernicus1
  • Start date
In summary: However, the 4-velocity is a special case because it is a tangent vector to the world line, i.e. a vector that is parallel to the world line at a given point. It is a fundamental concept in SR and is used to characterize the kinematics of particles in a relativistic context. In summary, the 4-velocity is used in special relativity to describe the kinematics of particles moving at relativistic speeds and can be used to derive the velocity addition formula through the Lorentz transformation.
copernicus1
I'm a little confused about when I would use the 4-velocity for a particle on a world line. I got confused the other day when I was trying to derive the relativistic velocity addition formula. I thought I could write down a particle's 4-velocity in one frame, [itex]v^\mu=\gamma(c,v_x,0,0)[/itex], and then boost it into another frame, and I got something close to the velocity addition formula but not quite. And usually, when we say something is moving with some velocity in one frame, we are just talking about the classical velocity. So when would one actually use the 4-velocity? If anyone can also explain why it doesn't work to derive the velocity addition formula that would be very helpful!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there copernicus! Actually you can derive the velocity addition formula using the Lorentz transformation of the 4-velocity. Say we have a frame ##O## in which the 4-velocity has the components ##u = (u^t,u^x,u^y,u^z)##; let ##v^i = \frac{u^i}{u^t}## denote the components of the 3-velocity as measured with respect to ##O##. Consider a boost along the ##x##-axis of frame ##O## to a frame ##O'## with speed ##w##. The 4-velocity transforms as ##u^{\mu'} = \Lambda^{\mu'}_{\nu}u^{\nu}## so for example ##u^{t'} = \gamma u^{t}(1 - w v^{x}), u^{x'} = \gamma u^{t}( v^x-w )## hence ##v^{x'} = \frac{v^x-w}{1 - w v^{x}}## as usual. Similarly ##v^{y'} = \frac{v^{y}}{\gamma (1 - w v^{x})}## and ##v^{z'} = \frac{v^{z}}{\gamma (1 - w v^{x})}##.

When you formulate SR through the framework of Minkowski space-time, you work with 4-vectors belonging to this space-time much like how you work with 3-vectors belonging to regular Euclidean 3-space when doing Newtonian mechanics.

1. What is the 4-velocity?

The 4-velocity is a vector that describes the motion of an object in four-dimensional spacetime. It includes both the object's speed and direction of movement.

2. When is the 4-velocity useful in physics?

The 4-velocity is useful in many areas of physics, including relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. It is used to describe the motion of objects in these theories and to calculate their energy and momentum.

3. How is the 4-velocity different from regular velocity?

The 4-velocity is a four-dimensional vector, while regular velocity is a three-dimensional vector. The 4-velocity also takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in relativity, while regular velocity does not.

4. Can the 4-velocity be used for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light?

Yes, the 4-velocity is especially useful for objects moving at high speeds, as it takes into account the effects of relativity. It allows for precise calculations of an object's energy and momentum, which can change significantly at high speeds.

5. How is the 4-velocity calculated?

The 4-velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's four coordinates (time and three spatial dimensions) with respect to proper time, which is the time experienced by the object itself. This results in a vector with four components: time, and the three spatial dimensions.