When is the magnetic flux on a section of a closed surface equal to zero?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
McAfee
Messages
96
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



When is the magnetic flux on a section of a closed surface equal to zero?

A. When the magnetic field is in the direction opposite that of the section’s area vector.
B. When the magnetic field is in the direction of the section’s area vector.
C. When the magnetic field is perpendicular to the section’s area vector.


The Attempt at a Solution



I have ruled out the answer A because it doesn't make sense.

I think it is C because when perpendicular it might cancel out it out. I'm not sure whether you have to use Lenz's or Faraday's Law?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
McAfee said:

Homework Statement



When is the magnetic flux on a section of a closed surface equal to zero?

A. When the magnetic field is in the direction opposite that of the section’s area vector.
B. When the magnetic field is in the direction of the section’s area vector.
C. When the magnetic field is perpendicular to the section’s area vector.


The Attempt at a Solution



I have ruled out the answer A because it doesn't make sense.
In what way?

I think it is C because when perpendicular it might cancel out it out. I'm not sure whether you have to use Lenz's or Faraday's Law?
You're simply being asked to find the flux. You don't need to use either law.
 
Oh. ok so flux = B.A.cos x , where x is the angle between magnetic field and area vector.
since x= 90 degree cos x = 0 and hence flux = 0.

The answer is C. I'm a right?
 
Yes, that's right.