When is the magnetic flux on a section of a closed surface equal to zero?

In summary, the magnetic flux on a section of a closed surface is equal to zero when the magnetic field is perpendicular to the section's area vector. This is because the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees, making the cosine of the angle equal to 0, resulting in a flux of 0.
McAfee

Homework Statement

A. When the magnetic field is in the direction opposite that of the section’s area vector.
B. When the magnetic field is in the direction of the section’s area vector.
C. When the magnetic field is perpendicular to the section’s area vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have ruled out the answer A because it doesn't make sense.

I think it is C because when perpendicular it might cancel out it out. I'm not sure whether you have to use Lenz's or Faraday's Law?

Physics news on Phys.org
McAfee said:

Homework Statement

A. When the magnetic field is in the direction opposite that of the section’s area vector.
B. When the magnetic field is in the direction of the section’s area vector.
C. When the magnetic field is perpendicular to the section’s area vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have ruled out the answer A because it doesn't make sense.
In what way?

I think it is C because when perpendicular it might cancel out it out. I'm not sure whether you have to use Lenz's or Faraday's Law?
You're simply being asked to find the flux. You don't need to use either law.

Oh. ok so flux = B.A.cos x , where x is the angle between magnetic field and area vector.
since x= 90 degree cos x = 0 and hence flux = 0.

The answer is C. I'm a right?

Yes, that's right.

Your reasoning is correct. When the magnetic field is perpendicular to the section's area vector, the angle between them is 90 degrees and therefore, the dot product of the two vectors is zero. This means that there is no magnetic flux passing through the section of the closed surface, resulting in a magnetic flux of zero. This can also be explained using Faraday's Law, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux. Since there is no magnetic flux, there will be no induced EMF, leading to a magnetic flux of zero.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength (B) by the area (A) of the surface and the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the surface's normal vector. This can be represented by the equation Φ = B⋅A⋅cosθ.

3. What is a closed surface?

A closed surface is a surface that is completely enclosed, with no openings or holes. It can be thought of as a closed container that does not allow any magnetic field lines to pass through it.

4. When is the magnetic flux on a closed surface equal to zero?

The magnetic flux on a closed surface is equal to zero when the magnetic field passing through the surface is perpendicular to the surface. This means that the angle between the magnetic field and the surface's normal vector is 90 degrees, and the cosine of 90 degrees is equal to zero.

5. What is the significance of the magnetic flux being equal to zero on a closed surface?

When the magnetic flux is equal to zero on a closed surface, it means that there is no net magnetic field passing through the surface. This can be useful in certain calculations and experiments, as it allows us to simplify the equations and focus on other aspects of the system.