When people mis-use literally it bugs me, Anyone else?

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the misuse of the word "literally" and how it is often used as an exaggeration instead of its literal meaning. The speakers also discuss other language pet peeves and the fluidity and evolution of language. They also touch on the arbitrariness of language and its connection to reality.

Haven't read this thread, but how 'bout flammable vs inflammable?

Physics news on Phys.org

russ_watters said:

Post #103.

I suppose if I was less lazy, I could have at least read the last page of the thread i was posting too... [shrug]

Now, that's a level of laziness I can merely aspire to. :biggrin:

russ_watters said:

Remember George Carlin's routine about that? Not an exact quote following, but close.
"Flammable, inflammable, non-inflammable. What the hell? Either the thing flamms or it doesn't flamm. Make up your mind."

Danger said:
Remember George Carlin's routine about that? Not an exact quote following, but close.
"Flammable, inflammable, non-inflammable. What the hell? Either the thing flamms or it doesn't flamm. Make up your mind."

Carlin was genius! Didn't he also point out that when an alarm goes off, it goes on :confused:?

I believe so. He also pointed out that your own farts smell okay. The only one of his albums that I own is 'Toledo Window Box', but I sure wouldn't mind picking up a few more.

"A Place For My Stuff" had me in stitches the first time I listened to it. I had it on cassette tape and listened to it on a continuous loop while travelling.

GeorginaS said:
"A Place For My Stuff" had me in stitches the first time I listened to it. I had it on cassette tape and listened to it on a continuous loop while travelling.

Oh, yeah. I remember a snippet of that from his stand-up routine. Your **** is 'stuff', and other people's stuff is '****'. I readily admit to having a vast collection of both.

George Carlin? You mean there are others here as old as I? Well, I guess you don't have to be old. I loved George Carlin in the 70's and went to a concert in Portland back then with a girl friend. Unfortunately, he was nearly incoherent. That was in his incoherent days. It was pretty embarrassing. I forgave him, though. I guess I've been incoherent a few times myself...

seerongo said:
You mean there are others here as old as I?
Are you kidding? I'm older than dirt, and am a mere child compared to Turbo and Integral. Hypatia and Astro are about my age, give or take a few months, and the incredibly gorgeous Evo is a couple of years ahead of me. Ivan always pretended to be older than me, but I found out that he's actually younger. There are a lot here, mostly gold members, who are in the same age range.
Put it this way, we have pre-teens, great-grandparents, and everything in between.

While that link was a very interesting read, it still points out that the general usage is improper. The only difference is that the writer seems willing to accept that improperness under some circumstances.