Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical When should I use my glasses/lenses

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    I have -1.50. Some optics say that I should always wear glasses/lenses, while others say that I should take them off when I read. Who is right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

-1.5 is mild shortsighted so you should be able to read without them.
    With them off you will have better contrast, especially if they are dirty or you are using a computer screen.
    But if you are anything like me you will break them more by taking them off.

It won't make any difference to your eyes.
  4. Nov 16, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go with whatever is most comfortable for you when you read. If taking them off makes it easier to read, take them off. If leaving them off makes things look a bit blurry and you start getting headaches or have trouble seeing the text, put them back on.
  5. Nov 17, 2008 #4
    OK, so there isn't a chance that I'll be more short sightened if I read with them?
  6. Nov 19, 2008 #5
    No; I have the same prescription. Just use them when needed or when you need to look nerdy for that one girl in the library.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?