When should I use my glasses/lenses

• Medical
  • Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
In summary, -1.5 is considered mild shortsightedness, which means that you should be able to read without glasses or lenses. However, if you find that taking them off makes it easier to read or that your glasses are dirty, it is perfectly fine to read without them. It ultimately comes down to personal comfort and preference. There is no risk of becoming more shortsighted by reading with or without glasses, and it's perfectly fine to use them only when needed.
kasse
I have -1.50. Some optics say that I should always wear glasses/lenses, while others say that I should take them off when I read. Who is right?

Biology news on Phys.org
-1.5 is mild shortsighted so you should be able to read without them.
With them off you will have better contrast, especially if they are dirty or you are using a computer screen.
But if you are anything like me you will break them more by taking them off.

It won't make any difference to your eyes.

Go with whatever is most comfortable for you when you read. If taking them off makes it easier to read, take them off. If leaving them off makes things look a bit blurry and you start getting headaches or have trouble seeing the text, put them back on.

OK, so there isn't a chance that I'll be more short sightened if I read with them?

No; I have the same prescription. Just use them when needed or when you need to look nerdy for that one girl in the library.

1. When should I wear my glasses/lenses?

The general rule is to wear your glasses or lenses whenever you need them to see clearly. This may be all the time, or only for specific tasks such as reading, driving, or using the computer. It's important to follow your eye doctor's recommendations for wearing your glasses or lenses based on your specific vision needs.

2. Should I wear my glasses/lenses all the time?

If your eye doctor has prescribed glasses or lenses for you, it's important to wear them as directed. This is especially true if you have a refractive error, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness, as your glasses or lenses will help correct your vision and prevent eye strain. However, if you have been prescribed glasses for occasional use, such as for reading, you may not need to wear them all the time.

3. Can I wear my glasses or lenses while playing sports?

If you participate in sports, it's important to protect your eyes with the appropriate eyewear. This may mean wearing your glasses or lenses while playing, or using sports goggles or protective eyewear specifically designed for your sport. Consult with your eye doctor to determine the best option for you.

4. Is it bad to wear my glasses/lenses for too long?

Wearing your glasses or lenses for extended periods of time will not harm your eyes. However, it's important to take breaks and give your eyes a rest, especially if you spend a lot of time on the computer or reading. This can help prevent eye strain and fatigue.

5. Can wearing glasses/lenses improve my vision permanently?

Glasses or lenses correct your vision temporarily, but they do not permanently change your vision. However, wearing glasses or lenses as prescribed may help prevent your vision from getting worse over time. Some children with certain eye conditions may experience improved vision with glasses or lenses, but this is not always the case for adults.