In this case, is it better to wear the glasses or not?

• Thread starter jaumzaum
  • Start date
In summary: I recently found out I have astigmatism and my vision becomes blurry at far distances, likely due to spending a lot of time reading at a close distance. This has caused my eye muscles to contract and relax in a way that has bent the lens in my eye in a plastic manner. As a student of optics, I understand that the lens in my eye has a variable power, with the muscles relaxed at far distances and contracted at close distances. I am now using divergent cylindrical glasses to help correct the curvature of my eye and improve my vision for far objects. However, I am wondering if using these glasses will affect my ability to read things up close, as it may require even more muscle contraction to focus the lens. As PF is unable
jaumzaum
I recently found out I have astigmatism, my vision becomes a little bit blur at far distances. The doctor told me that as I stay too much time in front of a computer reading in a close distance, probably the contraction and relaxation of the eye muscle bended it in a plastic way.

I’m studying optics. So my understanding of this is that the lens in my eyes have a variable power, or a variable focus. At very far distances the muscles are relaxed and the lens have their smallest power. In close distances the muscle contracts and the lens get their greatest power. I assume my eyes muscle got used to contract so much that the lens got plastically bent and the power when they are relaxed increased. So I’m using divergent cilindrical? (I don’t know how it works for the astigmatism) glasses that will make the combination of glasses +eye curvature get back to what it was before and make me seeing far objects again.

My only concern is: What about reading things close to you? Is it better to use the glasses or not? Because in my understanding if they are really divergent glasses I would have to contract even more my eyes muscles to get the lens to focus in a close object.

Biology news on Phys.org
PF really does not and can not give medical advice. Please get help from an ophthalmologist/optician. So we are closing the thread.

I believe your understanding about what is going on could profit viewing:

1. Should I wear glasses even if I have good vision?

It is generally not necessary to wear glasses if you have good vision. However, if you are experiencing eye strain or headaches, it may be helpful to wear glasses with a blue light filter to reduce strain on your eyes from digital screens.

2. Are glasses better than contacts?

It depends on personal preference and lifestyle. Glasses are typically easier to use and require less maintenance, but contacts may provide better vision correction and are more suitable for physical activities.

3. Can I wear glasses while using a computer?

Yes, wearing glasses while using a computer can help reduce eye strain and fatigue. It is recommended to use glasses with an anti-reflective coating to reduce glare from the screen.

4. Will wearing glasses make my vision worse?

No, wearing glasses will not make your vision worse. In fact, not wearing glasses when you need them can cause eye strain and fatigue, leading to temporary worsening of vision.

5. How often should I get my glasses prescription checked?

It is recommended to have your glasses prescription checked every 1-2 years, or more frequently if you notice changes in your vision. It is important to have an updated prescription to ensure your glasses are providing the best vision correction.