Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading glasses to reverse nearsightedness?

1. May 19, 2014 #1
    This has to do with optics and a bit about biology.

plus lenses (reading glasses) help the help the eyes focus on things that are close while while minus lens do the opposite. What is your opinion about using reading glasses (wearing them while reading and doing other near work) to reverse or at least stabilize the progression of myopia?

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you have that around the wrong way ?

reading glasses + lenses help the eyes focus on closer things
    I had no trouble focussing on far things but couldn't focus on near things ... print in books/computer screen, my electronics components
    Over a period of ~ 6 years I went from +1.0 to +1.5 to +2.0 to +2.5
    After that I had to go the prescription glasses way to get any further benefit

cheers
    Dave

4. May 19, 2014 #3
    Yes, thanks Dave for the correction. I corrected my OP.

Dave, how old are you? People tend to lose the ability to focus on near objects with age. I know only two young people who have farsightedness, but almost everyone my age (21 years old) I know is myopic.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  5. May 19, 2014 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi :)

I started to loose close focussing at ~ 47 yrs, am now not far off 55

My wife is the opposite, she has great close vision but needs glasses to drive ... to see anything clearly at around 30 metres or more away

I find I have to constantly review my posts/typing on forums etc
    not that I cant spell but that I don't see the keyboard clearly and do lots of typos hahaha

cheers
    Dave

6. May 20, 2014 #5
    Is the question here whether or not people should use reading glasses? Really?

7. May 20, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When I was in undergrad (late 1970s), I found that lots of reading/studying was causing my eyes to lose the ability to relax back to far distance vision. I spoke with my eye doctor, and he said that at that time, there was a controversial idea that using + reading glasses when studying helped the eye's focus muscles from getting so fatigued and not being able to relax back to distance vision. He said at that time that about half of the eye doctors were in each camp about whether this worked or not. He said that he personally thought it did make a difference, so I tried it and have been happy with the results ever since.

There must be a number of studies and some kind of consensus by now. Maybe somebody reading this thread could post some links to such peer-reviewed studies...?

8. May 20, 2014 #7
    I think if you had trouble relaxing your eye muscles you probably had some sight problem to begin with. No surprise wearing glasses helped you...

9. May 21, 2014 #8
    You obviously have no idea how the eye works or the fact that there are multiple types of glasses out there. In short, the ciliary muscle is responsible for accommodation of the eye's focal point. when stressed or predisposed to myopia/farsightedness, it sometimes doesn't re-accommodate. Granted, genetics plays a huge part in vision, as some people seem to be immune to myopia no matter how much near work they do with their eyes. However, most of those who are predisposed to myopia wouldn't develop myopia without actually doing near work. It seems that focusing on near objects is the trigger that is necessary for most people to develop myopia. Why else do you think that 200 years ago (when high school graduation rate was below 10 percent), myopia affected only a very small percent of the population and was almost unheard of?

10. May 21, 2014 #9
    This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing! So you've been wearing reading glasses since the late 70's? What is your vision now? Or what was your vision for most of the time between the late 70's and now?

11. May 21, 2014 #10

Evo

Myopia (nearsightedness) is the ability to see things clearly that are nearby, distant objects are blurred. People with myopia do not need glasses to do close work as they can see them clearly. I've always had myopia, now I am starting to get presbyopia.

As a person ages, they can develop a condition called presbyopia where a person that once was able to see near objects clearly, now has difficulty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia

A person that can see clearly in the distance, but not so well close up is called Hyperopia (farsightedness).

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/farsightedness-hyperopia-topic-overview

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  12. May 21, 2014 #11

Evo

Is this something like you're looking for?

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/3307440

Also interesting paper about myopia.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/myokid.htm

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  13. May 21, 2014 #12

Borek

Do you have any source for that?

14. May 21, 2014 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Myopia has been with mankind for along time. I have read (no source available) that the ancient myopic's were responsible for much of the fine etching done on ancient artifacts. Myopia moves the focus point very close to the eye. Personally I focus about 3.5in from my eyes. This corresponds to something like a 3x microscope. If I really need to examine something I take off my glasses and getting up close. Does wonders.

15. May 22, 2014 #14
    I'm sure it has, but i'm also sure that the percentage of people it has affected skyrocketed after the industrial revolution.

16. May 22, 2014 #15
    I read that somewhere a long time ago. I'll look into it to find a source

17. May 22, 2014 #16

DrClaude

The evidence for an increase of myopia seems to be mixed:
    Source: P.J. Foster and Y. Jiang, Epidemiology of myopia, Eye 28, 202 (2014)
    doi:10.1038/eye.2013.280

18. Aug 15, 2014 #17
    I just turned 46 in May..... I wore glasses most of my life when I had Lasik in 2004 (fior distance) the reading glasses need was happening slowly but it seems in the last few month lik POW!
    I actually am still ok with most things, I can work, type, read most things but up close I cant do anyuthing. I got a metal splinter in my finger Monday and I could not get it out without glasses. I cant cut my nails without glasses. I friggen HATE IT! I have been 10 year glasses free and now I need them sometimes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook