1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to add and cancel logarithms

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    I don't have a single homework question but a general one that will help me out tonight. I am taking calculus one college level and we are reviewing logarithms and I am really having trouble. I just don't understand how we are supposed to know where to add and cancel them.

It seems that at certain points in the math you just add a logarithm for it to cancel something out in a later time in the problem. This is really confusing me.

What are some good tactics to approach the problems when dealing with this type of math?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2
    It's basic log identities. If you google "logarithm identities" there will be a nice wiki page and some good images. Just make sure you learn the identities and understand them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted