1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for x using logarithms

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I tutor math for a couple of high school kids, and usually don't have any problems. Occasionally we run into a problem that takes me a minute, since I haven't actually used a lot of this stuff since I was in high school, but I always figure it out very quickly when that happens.

However, yesterday I came across a problem in the middle of a set of really straightforward logarithm problems, and I couldn't work out how to do it. It was a little embarassing, but I'm more curious than anything. How would one go about solving an equation like this?

30(1.4)[itex]^{x}[/itex] = 30 + 0.4x

Of course, the numbers aren't important, just the general layout, with an x in an exponent and in a term.

No matter how I work it, I can't seem to isolate the x. It seems like there must be some simple approach, especially since all of the other problems were so easy, but I can't think of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2
  4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    You have to be kind of clever to solve this. Here are possible steps:

1) show there are two solutions
    2) show that x=0 is a solution
    3) second solution is roughly where 30+0.4x is "small" -> x ~-75 -> 1.4^x ~ 0 so second solution is x≈-75.

In general, you can't solve this kind of equations analytically.

5. Jun 12, 2012 #4
    How can you show that there are two solutions, and that one is where x is "small"?

6. Jun 12, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Graph the two sides of the equation. You can quickly see there will be two solutions and that one of them is near the x-axis.

7. Jun 13, 2012 #6
    Opus 723,

There are many equations and are not amenable to a closed form solution. For instance, cos(x) = x. You can use approximation methods like the Newton-Raphson mentioded earlier, or you can express a term in the expression with a few terms of a fast converging series, and solve the equation that way. Cos(x) in the example I gave can be expressed as a series.

Ratch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook