Solving for x using logarithms

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary: R. In summary, the problem was a little too difficult for me, and I couldn't work out how to solve it. I'm curious as to how someone could have solved it.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

I tutor math for a couple of high school kids, and usually don't have any problems. Occasionally we run into a problem that takes me a minute, since I haven't actually used a lot of this stuff since I was in high school, but I always figure it out very quickly when that happens.

However, yesterday I came across a problem in the middle of a set of really straightforward logarithm problems, and I couldn't work out how to do it. It was a little embarassing, but I'm more curious than anything. How would one go about solving an equation like this?

30(1.4)[itex]^{x}[/itex] = 30 + 0.4x

Of course, the numbers aren't important, just the general layout, with an x in an exponent and in a term.

No matter how I work it, I can't seem to isolate the x. It seems like there must be some simple approach, especially since all of the other problems were so easy, but I can't think of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be kind of clever to solve this. Here are possible steps:

1) show there are two solutions
2) show that x=0 is a solution
3) second solution is roughly where 30+0.4x is "small" -> x ~-75 -> 1.4^x ~ 0 so second solution is x≈-75.

In general, you can't solve this kind of equations analytically.

How can you show that there are two solutions, and that one is where x is "small"?

Graph the two sides of the equation. You can quickly see there will be two solutions and that one of them is near the x-axis.

Opus 723,

There are many equations and are not amenable to a closed form solution. For instance, cos(x) = x. You can use approximation methods like the Newton-Raphson mentioded earlier, or you can express a term in the expression with a few terms of a fast converging series, and solve the equation that way. Cos(x) in the example I gave can be expressed as a series.

Ratch

What is the purpose of solving for x using logarithms?

The purpose of solving for x using logarithms is to find the value of x in an exponential equation. Logarithms are the inverse operation of exponentiation, so they are useful for solving equations where the variable x is in the exponent.

What are the steps for solving an equation for x using logarithms?

The steps for solving an equation for x using logarithms are as follows:

1. Isolate the exponential expression with the variable x on one side of the equation.
  2. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation using the same base.
  3. Apply the power rule of logarithms to bring down the exponent of x.
  4. Solve the resulting equation for x.

Which base should I use when solving for x using logarithms?

The base you use when solving for x using logarithms depends on the given equation. In general, it is best to use a base that is easy to work with, such as 10 or e. However, if the equation has a specific base, you should use that same base for the logarithm.

Can I use any logarithmic function to solve for x?

Yes, you can use any logarithmic function as long as it has the same base as the exponential expression in the equation. For example, if the equation is in the form of y = ab^x, you can use either log base a or log base b to solve for x.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for x using logarithms?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for x using logarithms include:

• Forgetting to apply the power rule when taking the logarithm of an exponential expression.
  • Using the wrong base for the logarithm.
  • Not isolating the exponential expression with the variable x before taking the logarithm.
  • Forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, which may occur when taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation.