When to decide experimental/theoretical physics

• Thread starter force_air_1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, most undergrads only do experimental physics research. It is important to know what you want to do before you decide on a major. It is also important to know what you want to do when you get to graduate school.
force_air_1
I am heading to college (liberal arts college).. what I want to know is when does one need to decide if he wants to be a theoretical or experimental physicist.. can we decide only when we get to grad school.. although I am heading to an outstanding college, I don't think there are many if any outstanding theoretical physicists there at a liberal arts college.. I plan to double major in math and physics and think that most of the research that I am going to do is experimental physics.. hmm.. do most undergrads only do experimental physics research?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamentals of physics, i.e. the undergraduate curriculum, are common to both theoretical and experimental physics.

Don't worry about making the decision now. You'll have a better idea of what's offered by either side of the spectrum by the end of your senior year. (And lots of senior students still don't know). Most of the time the decision is made when you select a thesis topic in graduate school. But even then it's possible to change topics, or pursue a Ph.D. in a different field from your M.Sc.

It's actually fairly rare for undergrads to be actively involved in research, unless you get a summer or part-time job working in a lab. It's more common though to get involved in the experimental side of things at the undergrad level because experimentalists often have more funding for hiring students. That's not to say that theorists never take them on. I had a summer position working for a theorist between my third and fourth year.

force_air_1 said:
I am heading to college (liberal arts college).. what I want to know is when does one need to decide if he wants to be a theoretical or experimental physicist.. can we decide only when we get to grad school.. although I am heading to an outstanding college, I don't think there are many if any outstanding theoretical physicists there at a liberal arts college.. I plan to double major in math and physics and think that most of the research that I am going to do is experimental physics.. hmm.. do most undergrads only do experimental physics research?

In my experience: it's a good idea to choose a research field a few months before the end of your first year of graduate school. You really should know by the end of your second year. The reason for this is that in my department, we pick thesis advisors in March of our first year, and we work for them over the summer. If we don't like what we're doing, we can switch to another group for our second summer. After that we're technically still allowed to change, but it's not a good idea because it wastes time.

Truthfully, I had no idea what I wanted to do in undergrad (except that I wanted to do physics). In my junior year I had a research class, and I did it in experimental condensed matter; it was NMR analysis of epoxies. My senior year I worked for a space physics theorist, modeling EM waves in resonance cavities. I wouldn't worry about the lack of theorists in your undergrad department. In undergrad you need to learn the basics of physics: both theory and experiment. Any good physics department will be able to teach you both. Now when you get to graduate school and specialize, then the composition of your department will matter more. That will be the time to look specifically for theorists or experimentalists. But at this stage it doesn't matter all that much.

Thank you for all the advice!

1. When should I choose to do experimental physics over theoretical physics?

The decision between experimental and theoretical physics ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Experimental physicists typically enjoy hands-on work and designing experiments, while theoretical physicists prefer mathematical and analytical work. Consider which aspect of physics you are most passionate about and where your strengths lie.

2. What are the main differences between experimental and theoretical physics?

The main difference between experimental and theoretical physics is the approach to studying phenomena. Experimental physics involves conducting experiments and collecting data to test theories and make observations about the natural world. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, uses mathematical models and equations to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems.

3. How do I know if I am better suited for experimental or theoretical physics?

One way to determine if you are better suited for experimental or theoretical physics is to take courses in both areas and see which one you enjoy and excel in more. You can also talk to professors and researchers in each field to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work and responsibilities of each type of physicist.

4. Can I switch between experimental and theoretical physics during my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between experimental and theoretical physics during your career. Many physicists have experience in both areas and may even combine experimental and theoretical approaches in their research. It is important to continuously develop your skills and knowledge in both areas to remain competitive in the field.

5. Is one type of physics more in demand than the other?

The demand for experimental and theoretical physicists varies depending on the current research and job market. Both types of physicists are essential for advancing our understanding of the natural world, and the demand for each may fluctuate over time. It is important to choose the type of physics that you are most passionate about and to continuously develop your skills to remain competitive in the field.