When to use which Equilibrium Constant. (Kp vs. Kc)

In summary: For example, for the equation ##\Delta G=-RT*ln(K)##, the standard state is the gas phase at 1000 hPa. So you would use ##Kp=\Delta G^o##. For the equation ##\Delta G=-RT*ln(K)##, the standard state is the aqueous phase at 1 mol/L. So you would use ##Kc=\Delta G^o##.
patrickbotros
Hello forum! My name's Patrick, and I'm taking Chemistry 212. We're learning about equilibrium and I'm constantly getting K's confused.
For example: In the equation ΔG=-RT*ln(K), I have no clue whether to use the Kp value or the Kc value. Could I have used either? I just need a very thorough explanation of when and why I should use the various equilibrium constants. If you could, don't just explain this example, and please try to predict some of my confusions, because it's impossible for me to know what I'm misunderstanding. I'm usually a very good chemistry student, but this material is hitting me like a ton of bricks!:cry::H
Thanks so much in advance for all of your help and expertise.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Use Kp when the substances are gases and use Kc when the substances are in aqueous state.
In equation you could use either kp or kc.
Any further queries?

The ##\Delta ## G you are using refers to the standard state, i.e. it is ##\Delta G^o##. The definitions of the standard state depends on the state of the substance involved, for gases, it is the low pressure limit extrapolated to 1000 hPa, let's call it ##p^o## and so on, for solids, it is the pure solid, for solvents, the pure solvent and for solutes, the low concentration limit extrapolated to 1 mol/l or mol/kg. The concentrations/ pressures appear then in the equilibrium constant as ##p/p^o##, ##c/c^o## and so on.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_state

DrDu said:
The ##\Delta ## G you are using refers to the standard state, i.e. it is ##\Delta G^o##. The definitions of the standard state depends on the state of the substance involved, for gases, it is the low pressure limit extrapolated to 1000 hPa, let's call it ##p^o## and so on, for solids, it is the pure solid, for solvents, the pure solvent and for solutes, the low concentration limit extrapolated to 1 mol/l or mol/kg. The concentrations/ pressures appear then in the equilibrium constant as ##p/p^o##, ##c/c^o## and so on.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_state
... Hmm. I have no idea what the difference between ##\Delta G^o## and ##\Delta G## is. And after you explain what those are, could you let me know how that tells me which K constant to use. Thanks so much!:biggrin:

Hm, ##\Delta G^o## is ##\Delta G## at the standard state. In general ##\Delta G=\Delta G^0 +RT \ln Q## where Q is the quotient of the pressures/ concentrations.
In equilibrium, ##\Delta G=0## and Q is named K.
To know which K or Q to use, you have to find the appropriate standard state for the reactands.

1. What is the difference between Kp and Kc?

Kp and Kc are both equilibrium constants, but they are used to express the equilibrium constant in different ways. Kp is used to express the equilibrium constant in terms of partial pressures of gases, while Kc is used to express the equilibrium constant in terms of molar concentrations of reactants and products in a solution.

2. When should I use Kp and when should I use Kc?

The choice between using Kp or Kc depends on the state of the reactants and products in the reaction. If the reaction only involves gases, then Kp should be used. If the reaction involves both gases and aqueous solutions, then Kc should be used.

3. Can Kp and Kc be used interchangeably?

No, Kp and Kc cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different ways of expressing the equilibrium constant and cannot be converted to each other without additional information about the reaction conditions.

4. How do I calculate Kp and Kc?

Kp and Kc can be calculated using the equilibrium expression for a given reaction. For Kp, the partial pressures of the reactants and products are used, while for Kc, the molar concentrations are used. The values for Kp and Kc can also be experimentally determined.

5. Do Kp and Kc have units?

Kp and Kc are both unitless constants, as they represent the ratio of the concentrations or partial pressures of products to reactants at equilibrium. However, the units of the molar concentrations or partial pressures used in the equilibrium expression will affect the numerical value of Kp and Kc.