When will bones become fossils?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fossils
In summary, skeletal calcium is replaced by mineral deposition over a variable period of time, dependent on factors such as rock type, pore water movement and chemistry. This process is ongoing as long as pore water is present, making diagenesis and fossilisation continuous processes. Fossils do not necessarily need to be mineralized to be considered fossils, as observed in North Sea fossils up to 30-40,000 years old. However, older fossils (>130,000 years) tend to be heavily mineralized, making it difficult to accurately date them using radiological methods.
Loren Booda
Over how long is skeletal calcium essentially replaced by mineral depositation?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't know too much about bones, but with calcium carbonate in sea shells, it can be very variable. Mineral replacement will vary in speed and type with rock type, pore water movement pore water chemistry etc, so its hard to give a definate answer. I'll dig through my notes tomorrow to see if I can come up with any rough figures for you. It should be noted that as long as pore water is present, dissolution, deposition and replacement of minerals won't stop, so diagenesis and fossilisation could be viewed as continuous processes.

First of all, fosils are most broadly defined as remnant, impression, or trace of an organism of past geologic ages that has been preserved in the Earth's crust.
Fossil do not need to be mineralized to be fossils. From what I have observed about fossils from the North sea when caught in fish trawlers net, there is little mineralization up to 30-40,000 years. However, Eemian (Sangamonian) remains >130,000 years are heavily mineralized.
The setback here is that those fossils can not be dated radiological because of that chemical alteration. So we assume something to be "Eemian" or "Sangamonian" from other clues. I've seen an "Eemian" vertebra of a Arctic whale that was not mineralized at all, the complete skeleton was found on a hill (!) at one of the October revolution Islands, north of Siberia.

1. When did bones become fossils?

Bones can become fossils when they are buried and preserved under layers of sediment or minerals. This process can take millions of years.

2. How long does it take for bones to become fossils?

The time it takes for bones to become fossils can vary greatly, ranging from tens of thousands to millions of years. Factors such as the type of bone, environmental conditions, and burial depth can all affect the fossilization process.

3. Can any bone become a fossil?

Not all bones have the potential to become fossils. Bones that are more dense and have a higher mineral content, such as teeth and bones from large animals, are more likely to become fossils. Fragile bones, like those of small or delicate animals, are less likely to become fossils.

4. What elements are necessary for bones to become fossils?

The primary elements necessary for bones to become fossils are minerals and sediment. Minerals, such as calcium carbonate, can replace the organic material of the bones and preserve their shape. Sediment, such as sand or mud, can cover and protect the bones from being destroyed by scavengers or weathering processes.

5. How do we know when bones have become fossils?

Scientists can determine if bones have become fossils by examining their physical and chemical characteristics. Fossils often have a distinct color and texture, as well as microscopic structures that differ from modern bones. Additionally, scientists use various dating techniques to determine the age of the fossilized bones.