Where Can I Find Reliable Thermodynamic Properties of Common Substances?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
dRic2
Hi, I'm pretty good in basic thermodynamics so I know how to make simple predictions of properties of substances like( h, g, cp, ecc...) but I always need some value to start with (e.g. entalpy of formation at 298K, perfect gas). I was wondering if there is a website with this kind of data for the most common substances. I tried using databook (like Perry) but since I mainly use to check homeworks' result I ended up loosing much more time looking for that values rather than finish the exercise. I don't trust wikipedia either because it's never specified the conditions under which the values were estimated.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

Have you ever tried NIST online database?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and dRic2
You are welcome!

Indeed, it is very useful, but I like it without the interactive display (you can untick the respective box and get table instead of graph).

In case you need the thermophysical properties of air or ethylene glycol, you can also visit this site: http://www.mhtl.uwaterloo.ca/old/onlinetools/airprop/airprop.html.
However, you can't have as much information as in NIST (for example enthalpy, entropy, internal energy).
 
DoItForYourself said:
Indeed, it is very useful, but I like it without the interactive display (you can untick the respective box and get table instead of graph).

I don't know what your are talking about. I just typed some names in the research bar and then clicked on "Thermodynamic Gas Properties" and I got a list of value and even some formulas to make predictions. It is very useful. Thank you again for the help!