Where can I find reliable cable properties for lock-in amplifiers?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a reliable source for the speed of propagation of a specific type of coaxial cable for an investigation into lock-in amplifiers. The original poster suggests using the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, but another user recommends looking at datasheets from manufacturers such as Belden. There is some uncertainty about whether it is acceptable to quote a manufacturer's datasheet in a journal, but it is suggested to quote it with the product number or release date. The conversation ends with the original poster thanking the others for their help.
BlindRacoon
Hey all,

I'm doing an investigate into lock-in amplifiers and am looking for a book, or journal, which has a collection of properties/ characteristics for cables?

For example, I'm particularily looking for a reliable source to quote the speed of propagation of a particular co-axial cable!

I've had a thought about using the latest edition of the Handbook of chemistry and physics; but am not hopeful it will contain what i need!

Hopefully someone has encountered a relevant source

Thanks!

~Blind

Physics news on Phys.org
BlindRacoon said:
Hey all,

I'm doing an investigate into lock-in amplifiers and am looking for a book, or journal, which has a collection of properties/ characteristics for cables?

For example, I'm particularily looking for a reliable source to quote the speed of propagation of a particular co-axial cable!

I've had a thought about using the latest edition of the Handbook of chemistry and physics; but am not hopeful it will contain what i need!

Hopefully someone has encountered a relevant source

Thanks!

~Blind

Welcome to the PF.

It would probably be easiest to look at the datasheets for the cables you are interested in. You can find the datasheets at the manufacturer's websites. Belden is a big manufacturer of cables, for example.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

It would probably be easiest to look at the datasheets for the cables you are interested in. You can find the datasheets at the manufacturer's websites. Belden is a big manufacturer of cables, for example.

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers, I will have a look thank you.

I thought i'd just check, Is it acceptable to quote a manufacters reference sheet in a journal?

BlindRacoon said:
Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers, I will have a look thank you.

I thought i'd just check, Is it acceptable to quote a manufacters reference sheet in a journal?

Hmm, that's a good question. I would think so, as long as the datasheet is stable. Datasheets for Cat-5 and Cat-6 twisted pair cables are quite stable. Standard types of coax cable like RG-8 should also have very stable datasheets.

berkeman said:
Hmm, that's a good question. I would think so, as long as the datasheet is stable. Datasheets for Cat-5 and Cat-6 twisted pair cables are quite stable. Standard types of coax cable like RG-8 should also have very stable datasheets.

I've found a datasheet with what I'm looking for, thanks...

As for the referencing i'lll investigate further whether or not I can reference it; like you said if it's reliable i don't see why not!

If worse comes to worse, ill reference it and hope for the best!

Thanks again for the quick reply

In case of doubt, quote the data sheet with whatever product number or release date the manufacturer put on it.

When the properties change, the manufacturer should either change the product number or re-release the data sheet with a different publication date.

Related to Where can I find reliable cable properties for lock-in amplifiers?

1. What is a "Book on Cable properties"?

A "Book on Cable properties" is a comprehensive guide that contains information about the properties and characteristics of various types of cables used in different industries. It typically includes details on the materials, design, and performance of cables, as well as their applications and limitations.

2. Who would benefit from reading a "Book on Cable properties"?

Engineers, researchers, and technicians involved in the design, installation, and maintenance of cables would benefit from reading a "Book on Cable properties." It can also be useful for anyone interested in understanding the technical aspects of cables and their functions.

3. What are some of the key topics covered in a "Book on Cable properties"?

Some of the key topics covered in a "Book on Cable properties" include cable materials, insulation and jacketing, signal transmission, electrical properties, environmental factors, and cable testing and standards.

4. Are there any specific industries or applications that a "Book on Cable properties" focuses on?

Yes, a "Book on Cable properties" may focus on specific industries or applications such as telecommunications, power transmission, data centers, automotive, aerospace, or marine. However, many books also cover a broad range of cable types and applications.

5. How can a "Book on Cable properties" be helpful in troubleshooting cable issues?

A "Book on Cable properties" can be a valuable resource for troubleshooting cable issues by providing information on common cable problems and their causes, as well as tips for identifying and solving them. It can also help in understanding the different factors that can affect cable performance and how to address them.