Where Can I Find the RA and Dec of the V1 Star?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Curious Kid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    star
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Curious Kid
So basically I have to find out star locations for a school project and one of the stars is called V1. So I looked up the name and found this link(https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/star-v1.html) but no location. I can't tell if I'm just stupid or missed or something, but i have gone to 10 different websites and could not find the RA and Dec of the star. Anyone know where I could find it?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Curious Kid said:
So basically I have to find out star locations for a school project and one of the stars is called V1. So I looked up the name and found this link(https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/star-v1.html) but no location. I can't tell if I'm just stupid or missed or something, but i have gone to 10 different websites and could not find the RA and Dec of the star. Anyone know where I could find it?
Your link says that it is in M31. That is a code for the Andromeda Galaxy.

Edit: Actually, you should read that article. It not only answers your question, but describes the historic important of V1 in measuring the size of the universe.
 
.Scott said:
Your link says that it is in M31. That is a code for the Andromeda Galaxy.

Edit: Actually, you should read that article. It not only answers your question, but describes the historic important of V1 in measuring the size of the universe.
I know its in M31, but I need RA and Dec for my school project, which it doesn't have
 
Curious Kid said:
I know its in M31, but I need RA and Dec for my school project, which it doesn't have
If you wanted to know where I lived and I told you, Doncaster, would you be able to find Doncaster on a map? Would you then know where I lived?
 
Google: m31 right ascension declination
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Curious Kid said:
So basically I have to find out star locations for a school project and one of the stars is called V1. So I looked up the name and found this link(https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/star-v1.html) but no location. I can't tell if I'm just stupid or missed or something, but i have gone to 10 different websites and could not find the RA and Dec of the star. Anyone know where I could find it?

Curious Kid said:
I know its in M31, but I need RA and Dec for my school project, which it doesn't have

How accurate do you need RA and Dec?