Where Can I Learn Algebra and Group Theory Outside of School?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LogicalAcid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    8th grade
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
LogicalAcid
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
I want to start getting ahead more in the Algebra field. Problem is, my school is not open to students advancing ahead of where they are supposed to be (knowledge is power). So, what I want to know is some good sites where I can learn Algebra in sort of a lesson pattern, but not having to enroll in anything. Links to good math books that can be bought are helpful as well.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
LogicalAcid said:
I want to start getting ahead more in the Algebra field. Problem is, my school is not open to students advancing ahead of where they are supposed to be (knowledge is power). So, what I want to know is some good sites where I can learn Algebra in sort of a lesson pattern, but not having to enroll in anything. Links to good math books that can be bought are helpful as well.

Knowledge is certainly power, but that doesn't mean it's being witheld from you. Nor does eighth grade define your level. I suggest you try going to a book store and paging through books to see if they're starting with what you know and progressing higher.
 
If you want to learn algebra yourself you could get pretty much any elementary (high school level) algebra textbook and go through it (this means thoroughly reading every single word, thinking about them, then working out the exercises) yourself. This is completely doable. If you got stuck on a problem you could get help here in the homework section, if you get stuck on a concept you could ask here in this forum. Your current math teacher should have no problem answering your questions also.
 
I second JonF's proposal. Just start reading through your assigned textbook, and if you want to advance further in a specific topic then just grab a 9th grade book. You'll only learn maybe one or two new concepts but the problems do get progressively harder.

Oh and by the way, only do this if you really want to progress further in one specific topic (say, algebra) only to indulge your curiosity. Don't do it to try finish 8th/9th grade earlier because I have been down this road myself. It's long and boring when you find yourself starting year 9, not allowed to skip because you might be lacking in other subjects and then the class starts to learn what you already know. Trust me, it's not fun.
 
Yeah, learning things now that you will learn later isn't going to fun. Maybe you should start learning things that they don't learn you in school. Maybe you could learn yourself group theory? The site http://dogschool.tripod.com/ offers an easy introduction to it. Maybe this is something for you...