Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where Can I Purchase a Superconductor?

1. Dec 24, 2008 #1
    I need to buy a superconductor for a simple project. I'm only demonstrating how it floats on a magnetic track.

Where could I find a superconductor that will work under Liquid Nitrogen's temperature, and is around 2-5 inches in diameter?

I've only been able to find very tiny (about .5-1inch) superconductor kits, so far.

Can anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2-5 inches is large for HTC - I've only seen cm pieces.
    I don't know if you can make such large pieces, they would certainly be expensive and probably difficult to cool without breaking.
  4. Dec 24, 2008 #3
    I know I've seen them in various videos online, but what if your saying is true, they must have been made just for that demonstration...
  5. Mar 22, 2009 #4
    why dont you buy some wire from american superconductor. they are located in devens, ma and manufacture the type2 superconducting wire that can retain superconductivity at high magnetic fields and high temp. that's the stuff they used to build the supercollider in switzerland. comes in really long rolls. i bet you could get some scrap pieces if you rummaged around in their trash.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?