Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I purchase a high frequency step-up transformer

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    I need a transformer with the following characteristics that can operate at a frequency of 1MHz.

Step-up ratio= 1:80
    Primary L=1.55uH
    Secondary L=10.65mH
    Mutual Inductance= 62.5uH

Any suggestions on what US companies might carry this kind of product?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

80:1 at 1MHz is potentially going to be difficult to achieve. Can you say something about the application? What is your target spec for Cww (winding-to-winding capacitance)?

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    Thank you berkeman,
    I am trying to replicate a transformer in a paper for plasma generation. The paper describes the transformer as a 10mm diameter ferrite rod with 5(.3mm):400(.15mm) windings of copper wire.
    Loss Resistance= 26 ohm
    Self Capacitance=3.55pF

I've had no luck finding a ferrite rod with the right shape and size. Hardly any have been above 8mm in diameter, and none have been more than 25mm long, too short to fit the number of windings required. This is why I am trying to find an equivalent transformer.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    I contacted this company about a week ago but never received a response. I called again and sent another email just now. It seems to be what I need, but I wont know for sure until I can talk with their engineers. I will keep the thread updated, and in the mean time I will continue to search for alternatives.

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Newark carries the Ferroxcube and they'll answer their phone.

old jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook