Where can I purchase a high frequency step-up transformer

In summary: 's has a ferrite rod that is 9.3x100mm in dimensions and is listed as being available in quantity on their website.old jim's has a ferrite rod that is 9.3x100mm in dimensions and is listed as being available in quantity on their website.
yesbeckng
I need a transformer with the following characteristics that can operate at a frequency of 1MHz.

Step-up ratio= 1:80
Primary L=1.55uH
Secondary L=10.65mH
Mutual Inductance= 62.5uH

Any suggestions on what US companies might carry this kind of product?

Engineering news on Phys.org
yesbeckng said:
I need a transformer with the following characteristics that can operate at a frequency of 1MHz.

Step-up ratio= 1:80
Primary L=1.55uH
Secondary L=10.65mH
Mutual Inductance= 62.5uH

Any suggestions on what US companies might carry this kind of product?

Welcome to the PF.

80:1 at 1MHz is potentially going to be difficult to achieve. Can you say something about the application? What is your target spec for Cww (winding-to-winding capacitance)?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

80:1 at 1MHz is potentially going to be difficult to achieve. Can you say something about the application? What is your target spec for Cww (winding-to-winding capacitance)?

Thank you berkeman,
I am trying to replicate a transformer in a paper for plasma generation. The paper describes the transformer as a 10mm diameter ferrite rod with 5(.3mm):400(.15mm) windings of copper wire.
Loss Resistance= 26 ohm
Self Capacitance=3.55pF

I've had no luck finding a ferrite rod with the right shape and size. Hardly any have been above 8mm in diameter, and none have been more than 25mm long, too short to fit the number of windings required. This is why I am trying to find an equivalent transformer.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
jim hardy said:
is this guy's offering the right flavor?

I contacted this company about a week ago but never received a response. I called again and sent another email just now. It seems to be what I need, but I won't know for sure until I can talk with their engineers. I will keep the thread updated, and in the mean time I will continue to search for alternatives.

Newark carries the Ferroxcube and they'll answer their phone.

old jim

1. Where can I find a high frequency step-up transformer?

There are several places where you can purchase a high frequency step-up transformer. Some options include online retailers such as Amazon or eBay, specialty electronics stores, or directly from the manufacturer.

2. How do I know which high frequency step-up transformer to purchase?

The best way to determine which high frequency step-up transformer to purchase is by considering your specific needs and the specifications of your electronic device. Factors such as voltage, frequency, and wattage should be taken into account when selecting a transformer.

3. Are high frequency step-up transformers expensive?

The cost of a high frequency step-up transformer can vary depending on the brand, size, and features. Generally, they tend to be more expensive than traditional transformers due to their advanced technology and ability to handle higher frequencies. It is important to research and compare prices from different sources before making a purchase.

4. Can I use a regular transformer instead of a high frequency step-up transformer?

No, a regular transformer is not suitable for high frequency applications. High frequency step-up transformers are specifically designed to handle the increased voltage and frequency, and using a regular transformer could result in damage to your electronic device.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a high frequency step-up transformer?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using a high frequency step-up transformer. This may include proper grounding, avoiding overloading the transformer, and using appropriate protective gear. It is also recommended to have a qualified professional install the transformer to ensure proper usage and safety.