Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where in the world can i purchase a A ram air turbine Rat_

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    where in the world can i purchase a A ram air turbine Rat.._ i want to mount it on the roof of my rv trailer build. and use it as a wind turbine generator as i drive down the road, to recharge my batteries.. i heard you really cant use a regular wind turbine or can you..?? or will it just shut down at those speeds and turbulence.. i found one, on ebay but the seller backed out on me, after i paid...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This does not directly answer your question, I don't think that is a good approach all. Getting the power from the motor/wheel connection is way more effective.
    The regular commercial wind turbines are way too large, they won't fit on your car anyway.

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3

cjl

It will add drag, which will cause you to use more fuel. It would be more efficient to just directly mount an alternator to the engine.

5. Mar 23, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Recharge which batteries? Just get power from your RV power outlet to recharge any batteries.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook