Misc. Where can I purchase this Acrylic container?

Didn't know where to put this, but does anyone know where to purchase a rectangular acrylic box (top open, so I can fill with liquid) with dimensions 3" high by 4" long by 2" wide?

I appreciate any suggestions you have!

berkeman

Mentor
Sounds like an aquarium. Especially if you want it to hold liquid, it will need to be pretty strong.

Sounds like an aquarium. Especially if you want it to hold liquid, it will need to be pretty strong.
Ummmm yea but it holds like 1/10th of a gallon (less than 400 mL). Isn't this simple for most acrylic containers?

berkeman

Mentor
Yeah, if there is not a lot of weight in it, you could probably have Tap Plastic put it together for you for a reasonable price. Why so little water in such a large container?

berkeman

Mentor
Yeah, if there is not a lot of weight in it, you could probably have Tap Plastic put it together for you for a reasonable price. Why so little water in such a large container?
The container holds ##3 \times 4 \times 2 = 24 in^3 = 393 mL##. Am I missing something?

Do you have one near you?

I'm not seeing where they produce a container with an open side; have I missed something? I did see this:
but they don't go down to the 1" size.

berkeman

Mentor
The container holds 3×4×2=24in3=393mL3 \times 4 \times 2 = 24 in^3 = 393 mL. Am I missing something?
Oh jeeze, sorry. I misread the dimensions as feet, not inches. Duh o0)
I'm not seeing where they produce a container with an open side
They do have some in their stores, but they can also glue one up for you if you give them the specs for the wall material and how you want it glued together. This may be simple enough that you can glue it together yourself. Have you ever glued acrylic pieces before?

Oh jeeze, sorry. I misread the dimensions as feet, not inches. Duh o0)

They do have some in their stores, but they can also glue one up for you if you give them the specs for the wall material and how you want it glued together. This may be simple enough that you can glue it together yourself. Have you ever glued acrylic pieces before?
I have never glued acrylic.

Okay, let me explain: I want to conduct some experiments and then drop them in a drop tower. Then I'll (hopefully) publish the results against theory. So in making these tubes, they need to be secure enough for a drop and perpendicular walls. Then I have 3 options: 1) try to use someone at our local university to assemble the channel (I think we have staff for this, though I have to check), 2) get it made for me online or in store, 3) make it myself.

Is gluing acrylic accurately difficult?

JBA

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just Google "welding acrylic" and you will find a multitude of sites on the subject.

Klystron

Gold Member
While I am confused about what you actually require, many pet stores sell small plexiglass aquariums already assembled intended for individual beta splendens and gravid guppies.

A small tank for <$30 USD.

berkeman

Mentor
While I am confused about what you actually require, many pet stores sell small plexiglass aquariums already assembled intended for individual beta splendens and gravid guppies.

A small tank for <$30 USD.
I'm still not sure, but it sounds like the OP wants to do drop tests with small plastic enclosures in some drop channel. Kind of like the old pneumatic tube transfer system, but in a non-pressurized drop instead of pressurized tube transfers... ?

1564533984616.png

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Why does it have to be acrylic?

Boxes of such a small size might be available from craft supply places, but they would likely be made of polystyrene. There are also boxes sold to display items in stores.
I would guess it is unlikely you will find something of the exact dimensions you want, especially if it has to be made of arylic. Most small boxes I have seem are polystyrene.

Small aquariums in that size range would probably be made of polystyrene also. Large plastic aquariums would probably be glued up from acrylic sheet (AKA Plexiglas).
There are also thermoplastics like polypropylene and polyethylene. They are opaque, not clear and can be welded, but not easily glued.

I have made small boxes, similar in size to what you describe, from acrylic for taking pictures of small fish (≤ 1 inch).
Gluing acrylic is not difficult. There are two main gluing techniques:
  1. Use a running solvent for solvent gluing; this requires really well cut edges (often using a router, not a saw (which leaves a lot of grooves in the surface from individual saw teeth), or sanding smooth after cutting) to get a very smooth edge, and therefore a good fit. Apply a few drops of solvent to the joint after assembling the peices and let it wick in to the crack.
  2. Using a solvent glue with a bunch of acrylic dissolved in it (like a paste). This is sloppier looking but fills the gaps very well and is less likely to leak.
If impact or heat resistance is important, use polycarbonate (AKA Lexan). Acrylic is comparatively brittle.

A plastic shop like @berkeman suggested could probably supply you with any plastic you need.
Plastic shops often have scraps of plastic (leftovers from jobs they have done) you can get for cheap.

Last edited: