Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can you post physics theorys

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    hi all, where can you post physics theorys and read others online.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Somewhere else

4. Dec 19, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Serious things: preprint-servers - but in that case you don't have to ask.
    Everything else: Please, do not do it. You are wasting your and other's time.

5. Dec 19, 2012 #4
    Usenet.

6. Dec 19, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You can always look at the Arxiv: http://arxiv.org/

If you have a serious theory, then you can always publish it there. Of course, not everybody can publish there, you need somebody to endorse your paper. But if you have a serious theory, then I'm sure you'll have contacts willing to endorse.

If you don't have a serious theory (like: you never studied physics before and you discovered why quantum theory is wrong), then I'm sure there are many forums where you can publish things. This forum is not one of them though.

7. Dec 19, 2012 #6
    www.fqxi.org seems appropriate. A lot of laymen post their ideas there. But don't expect anyone with a clue to actually read it unless you can explain in three sentences what your theory is about and why it should be considered. Can you?

8. Dec 19, 2012 #7
    Read about it: arxiv.org Write about it without credentials: vixra.org I think.

9. Dec 19, 2012 #8

Evo

FYI, vixra is not acceptable on this site, it's a crackpot repository.

10. Dec 19, 2012 #9
    Why isn't there a forum on the internet dedicated to research physics. Obviously modern physics is just a sliver of what the future holds, a history major could tell us that, so why is there not a free website, similar to this one, where people can exchange new ideas? Whenever I visit physics forums websites, they never want to talk about ideas that are not already canon, but I think an outlet for research physics could be beneficial to physics progress. I'm not talking about a preprint, I'm talking about a forums website. Like arxiv, but with threads. Is there really no such website yet?

11. Dec 19, 2012 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

With no referee, it seems to me that such a forum would inevitably degenerate into crackpottery, and there ARE such forums. I think you are looking for such a site but without the crackpottery and my contention is that such a beast is impossible.

12. Dec 19, 2012 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There ARE such forums!! I don't think you've searched long enough.

13. Dec 19, 2012 #12
  14. Dec 19, 2012 #13

russ_watters

And we tried it too (twice!). It was a disaster.

15. Dec 20, 2012 #14
    Why in the world would anyone want to post a "serious" physics theory in a public internet forum?
    It beats me. As commented in other posts there are ways like journals and the arxiv that require endorsers which means that at least you have made the effort to moreless coherently explain your theory to someone professionaly related to science who agreed it deserved a preprint.
    A different thing is exploring and learning about what is already known, that can be done in many sites(such as this one) with different levels of nonsense allowed.

16. Dec 20, 2012 #15

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because they hope that the reaction will be "you're the bestest bestest physicist ever! The next Einstien, Hawkins and Feynmann rolled into one!"

17. Dec 20, 2012 #16
    :rofl:

But seriously, none of them (save very rare exceptions) are even physicists, not that I think it is absolutely necessary to have a formal degree to make contributions to a science field (but it surely helps). I was rather thinking that if you happen to have a theory, whatever path you might have come to that conclusion, if you are serious about it, the last thing you'd want to do is to directly present it in a forum, unless you simply don't have a clue about what you are talking about which is the usual case.

18. Dec 20, 2012 #17

Drakkith

Does this mean my theory on the entanglement of left pinky toes of identical twins and how it can lead to perpetual energy shouldn't be posted?

19. Dec 20, 2012 #18

jtbell

Remember the old saying, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you probably can't afford it?"

Similarly, "If you have to ask where to publish a new theory, it's probably no good."

20. Dec 20, 2012 #19
    You're the bestest bestest physicist ever! The next Einstein, Hawkins and Feynman rolled into one!

21. Dec 20, 2012 #20

Drakkith

Nah, we just all have the same toe!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook