Where can you post physics theorys

• Thread starter Pseudohominom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses various options for posting and reading physics theories online. These include preprint-servers, forums, and the Arxiv website. It is suggested that serious theories should be published on reputable platforms with proper endorsement, while more casual discussions can take place on forums. However, it is also acknowledged that finding a suitable platform for sharing new ideas can be challenging, and some forums may have a high level of crackpottery. Ultimately, it is concluded that the decision to publish a new theory should be carefully considered, and seeking guidance from experienced professionals is recommended.
Pseudohominom
hi all, where can you post physics theories and read others online.

Physics news on Phys.org
Serious things: preprint-servers - but in that case you don't have to ask.
Everything else: Please, do not do it. You are wasting your and other's time.

Usenet.

You can always look at the Arxiv: http://arxiv.org/

If you have a serious theory, then you can always publish it there. Of course, not everybody can publish there, you need somebody to endorse your paper. But if you have a serious theory, then I'm sure you'll have contacts willing to endorse.

If you don't have a serious theory (like: you never studied physics before and you discovered why quantum theory is wrong), then I'm sure there are many forums where you can publish things. This forum is not one of them though.

Pseudohominom said:

www.fqxi.org seems appropriate. A lot of laymen post their ideas there. But don't expect anyone with a clue to actually read it unless you can explain in three sentences what your theory is about and why it should be considered. Can you?

Read about it: arxiv.org Write about it without credentials: vixra.org I think.

0xDEADBEEF said:
Read about it: arxiv.org Write about it without credentials: vixra.org I think.
FYI, vixra is not acceptable on this site, it's a crackpot repository.

Why isn't there a forum on the internet dedicated to research physics. Obviously modern physics is just a sliver of what the future holds, a history major could tell us that, so why is there not a free website, similar to this one, where people can exchange new ideas? Whenever I visit physics forums websites, they never want to talk about ideas that are not already canon, but I think an outlet for research physics could be beneficial to physics progress. I'm not talking about a preprint, I'm talking about a forums website. Like arxiv, but with threads. Is there really no such website yet?

jfy4 said:
Why isn't there a forum on the internet dedicated to research physics. Obviously modern physics is just a sliver of what the future holds, a history major could tell us that, so why is there not a free website, similar to this one, where people can exchange new ideas? Whenever I visit physics forums websites, they never want to talk about ideas that are not already canon, but I think an outlet for research physics could be beneficial to physics progress. I'm not talking about a preprint, I'm talking about a forums website. Like arxiv, but with threads. Is there really no such website yet?

With no referee, it seems to me that such a forum would inevitably degenerate into crackpottery, and there ARE such forums. I think you are looking for such a site but without the crackpottery and my contention is that such a beast is impossible.

jfy4 said:

There ARE such forums! I don't think you've searched long enough.

micromass said:
There ARE such forums! I don't think you've searched long enough.
And we tried it too (twice!). It was a disaster.

Pseudohominom said:

Why in the world would anyone want to post a "serious" physics theory in a public internet forum?
It beats me. As commented in other posts there are ways like journals and the arxiv that require endorsers which means that at least you have made the effort to moreless coherently explain your theory to someone professionaly related to science who agreed it deserved a preprint.
A different thing is exploring and learning about what is already known, that can be done in many sites(such as this one) with different levels of nonsense allowed.

TrickyDicky said:
Why in the world would anyone want to post a "serious" physics theory in a public internet forum?

Because they hope that the reaction will be "you're the bestest bestest physicist ever! The next Einstien, Hawkins and Feynman rolled into one!"

Vanadium 50 said:
Because they hope that the reaction will be "you're the bestest bestest physicist ever! The next Einstien, Hawkins and Feynman rolled into one!"

:rofl:

But seriously, none of them (save very rare exceptions) are even physicists, not that I think it is absolutely necessary to have a formal degree to make contributions to a science field (but it surely helps). I was rather thinking that if you happen to have a theory, whatever path you might have come to that conclusion, if you are serious about it, the last thing you'd want to do is to directly present it in a forum, unless you simply don't have a clue about what you are talking about which is the usual case.

Does this mean my theory on the entanglement of left pinky toes of identical twins and how it can lead to perpetual energy shouldn't be posted?

Remember the old saying, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you probably can't afford it?"

Similarly, "If you have to ask where to publish a new theory, it's probably no good."

Drakkith said:
Does this mean my theory on the entanglement of left pinky toes of identical twins and how it can lead to perpetual energy shouldn't be posted?
You're the bestest bestest physicist ever! The next Einstein, Hawkins and Feynman rolled into one!

Jimmy Snyder said:
You're the bestest bestest physicist ever! The next Einstein, Hawkins and Feynman rolled into one!

Nah, we just all have the same toe!

TrickyDicky said:
It beats me. As commented in other posts there are ways like journals and the arxiv that require endorsers which means that at least you have made the effort to moreless coherently explain your theory to someone professionaly related to science who agreed it deserved a preprint.
A different thing is exploring and learning about what is already known, that can be done in many sites(such as this one) with different levels of nonsense allowed.

I would hope for the same reason people love things like Ubuntu, Python, and many many other AMAZING, functional, working creations that are completely open source. It beats me why anyone needs to keep those things to themselves and/or make them be put into a paid subscription service...

Arxiv is great, and I am really glad it has become such a used service and is really appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, I hate crack pottery as much as the next physicist, but I seem to constantly run into elitism (I'm not saying that's what's going on in this thread, but Its hard to tell without talking face to face).

I guess I just want complete transparency. People are allowed to make horrible products, people just don't buy them, but they are available, especially on the internet. I think this day and age we can have a collection of all physics theories on the internet open to everyone. If they are bad theories, no one will buy them (both with money and with belief).

jfy4 said:
I just want complete transparency. People are allowed to make horrible products, people just don't buy them, but they are available, especially on the internet. I think this day and age we can have a collection of all physics theories on the internet open to everyone. If they are bad theories, no one will buy them (both with money and with belief).
Unfortunately, on the internet, it doesn't work that way. You can't have a forum focused on known, mainstream science AND allow crackpots. It's one or the other. We choose no crackpots. There are many forums out there that allow crackpots, many don't even have the expertise to know that they're hosting crackpots.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Unfortunately, on the internet, it doesn't work that way. You can't a forum focused on known, mainstream science AND allow crackpots. It's one or the other. We choose no crackpots. There are many forums out there that allow crackpots, many don't even have the expertise to know that they're hosting crackpots.

Evo, the OP has been banned and this thread is going nowhere. Time to shut it down ?

phinds said:
Evo, the OP has been banned and this thread is going nowhere. Time to shut it down ?
Excellent suggestion.

1. Where can I post my physics theories online?

There are several online platforms where you can post your physics theories, such as researchgate.net, academia.edu, and arXiv.org. These websites allow scientists and researchers to share their work and get feedback from their peers.

2. Is it important to post my physics theories online?

Posting your theories online can be beneficial as it allows for collaboration and feedback from other scientists. It also helps to increase the visibility and impact of your work.

3. Can I post my physics theories on social media?

While social media can be a useful tool for sharing information, it is not typically the best platform for posting scientific theories. Websites specifically designed for scientific research, as mentioned earlier, are better suited for this purpose.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for posting physics theories online?

Each platform may have its own guidelines for posting content, so it is important to familiarize yourself with those before sharing your work. In general, it is important to ensure that your theories are well-supported by evidence and clearly presented.

5. Can I post my physics theories on my personal website?

You can certainly post your theories on your personal website, but it may not reach as wide of an audience as posting on a dedicated platform. Additionally, you may want to consider copyright and ownership issues before posting your work on your personal site.